Health & Medicine Expo Review

So you want to be a doctor? So you want to fulfill your lifelong, childhood dream? So you are going to be in school for what… twelve years? So you want to be a doctor?

Ever since I was in preschool I wanted to become a pediatrician. I could take care of all of my babydolls so I could obviously take care of other, real, live children. As I grew up, I realized that entering the medical field would be a very rewarding career filled with excitement, joy, and interesting case studies. This summer I got a first-hand look at a day in the life of  a physician when I shadowed a neurologist. The experience really made me consider which field of medicine I wanted to enter–or if I even wanted to enter the field at all… but that’s a story for another day.

In science there are so many different opportunities; there are not only positions in research or as practicing physicians. Under the umbrella of “health and medicine” there is a huge range of fields and careers.  At Career Planning & Resource’s Health and Medicine Expo held in Seal Court on Friday, October 24, CP&R did a fantastic job of offering information and hosting representatives from a variety of fields, careers, medical schools, gap year organizations, and local volunteer opportunities. I stopped by the tables University of San Diego, Hahn School of Nursing & Health Science, Gap Medics, Casa Colina, and Loma Linda University School of Public Health. Those were just a handful of great organizations that you should really check out if you’re interested in a career in medicine or healthcare.

This was the view of Seal Court during the Health and Medicine Career Expo.

Going to CP&R event made me realize the huge differences that exist between each field. For example, the qualifications for occupational therapy graduate programs differ greatly from those of public health, although they are both rooted in the sciences. I talked to many people representing their respective organizations and discovered that each had a special emphasis in a particular field, yet they all had the same science roots.

The Health & Medicine Expo helped to dispel my preconceived notions about the medical field and the health field. The Expo made me realize that by narrowing my academic focus to pre-health or pre-med, I actually do the opposite! The decision opens countless doors to explore with my passions for science and helping others. If you didn’t go to the Expo you missed out on an eye-opening experience.