Choosing Classes or Picking a Job?

Picking and registering for classes seems to me (an inexperienced freshman) like picking a job. There are so many potential options, however I still feel so limited in what I am able to do. I have gone over and over the catalog trying to find the right courses to take, figure out timing that will work, and find the best professors. At first I was so excited to be able to take new classes and have a wider variety of options. Then I found out that my registration time was at 4:15, and everything became a little less hopeful.

Going through these steps has been similar to how I’ve approached jobs. At first, I get so excited about considering all of the jobs that I could possibly have. I could be a journalist, the owner of a start-up business, a lawyer, a publisher, a coffee barista, a traveler… The world seems to be at my feet. However, I then realize that I can only have one (or two) majors and that I won’t be automatically given my dream job. And then I realize that when I go into the work field, I will be one of many little fish in a big, big pond. Just like my late 4:15 registration time.

As it is still only my first semester of my first year here, I know that things will eventually work out. I have all five schools here to help me take the classes that I need, I have a great adviser, and I know some tricks to help me get into classes. But it’s a little more daunting when it comes to working after college. Hopefully I will be able to build some connections while here at Scripps and take advantage of all of the resources that I can. That way when I graduate I will not feel too little in the big pond.

Finding a job after college and working for the rest of your life is still a little bit more of a challenge than just registering for classes for next semester. They are still similar, though. You have to remember that eventually things will work out. Even if there is a job that you don’t like, you know that you won’t want to stay in that field or further pursue it. Just like the politics class I took this semester. Even though it hasn’t been my favorite class, it was still good in alerting me to the fact that I don’t want to study politics.

The job process is similar to college, just stretched out on a much larger scale. While things here at Scripps seem to occur so quickly, finding and maintaining a job will take a much longer time. So after graduating from college, that’s the number one thing that I will have to remind myself: things aren’t going to work out right away, and it may take a few tries to get it right. Just like choosing your classes and trying to choose a major. It will all be alright in the end (hopefully).