Finding a Silver Lining

I have successfully completed my first ever college semester. Wow. Time flies when you are having fun. These past four months at Scripps have been a whirlwind. Every great story has it’s exciting moments of elation and the disappointing moments of sadness. In my time at Scripps, I have had a fair share of both of these extremes. However, I have learned to find a silver lining and make all of my experiences–good and bad–into learning experiences.

I learned so much from my classes. I learned to be an advocate for myself and to go to office hours when there is a difficult problem I don’t understand. I learned to get the help I need, right away, so I do not fall behind. I learned to stay on top of my work–even if that means studying on a Thursday or Friday night. I learned that the professors are there to help–both inside and outside of the classroom. They are highly helpful and educated mentors, and I tried to absorb as much as possible from them.

I learned so much from extracurricular activities. I learned leadership and responsibility in my time as a journalist for both the 7C and the Scripps newspaper. I was able to interview high-up administration around the 7Cs about topical issues and combine the information into a coherent, published story. From A-Team, I learned how to be leader and organizer. I learned how to help plan events and take change in a group of people. I also learned time management with ultimate frisbee, rock climbing, school work, and other extracurriculars. Seize the opportunity–go on the camping trip, go on the Disneyland trip! You only regret the chances you do not take.

I learned so much from the people I met. I learned that everyone at Scripps College and in the 5Cs has something truly special to offer. Everyone comes from different backgrounds, families, schools, states, and even countries. The diversity of thought has truly expanded my mind both inside and outside of the classroom. I learned to put myself out there when meeting new people (it can’t hurt… can it?!) and to spend time with people who are not only fun, but interesting.

Right now, as I study for my last final–I am in a trough of exhaustion. But, as I look up to the silver lining of my semester and I recount all of the new things that I have experienced that have expanded my mind, I smile. I smile for the semester that has passed and I smile for the coming semesters here at Scripps. Also, I can’t help but smile for the holiday season.