A Real World Application of my Major

This summer I had the opportunity to work with the media and research analysis office for Mayor Bill de Blasio. My internship combined my interests in Politics and International Relations in several ways.

Caldwell1Most days of my internship consisted of typing up mayoral transcripts. Whenever the mayor spoke at a public event, the media and research analysis office recorded and transcribed the audio to allow the public access to all mayoral events. This new initiative, brought on by the de Blasio administration, allows for greater transparency between the public and the mayor. Additionally, every day we tracked social media and news sources for stories about New York City agencies, mayor mentions, and incidents and accidents across the city. This information was sent to all agencies and departments in the administration, including the mayor himself, to keep them aware of occurrences across the boroughs and public perceptions. Lastly, the interns, I along with two other college students, were tasked with tracking the top 10 cities and their mayors. From this project, I learned how similar local government issues are across states. The information was eventually compiled and discussed between mayors at a conference in August.

Caldwell 2

This internship showed me how important the role of city government is and that change must sometimes start at a state level rather than through the federal government. For example, this summer Mayor de Blasio passed a Municipal ID Bill which allows undocumented immigrants, the homeless, and others to have a form of ID and to be seen as a part of the community. While the federal government is struggling with immigration, this mayor bypassed Congress and was able to include a segment of the national population that is often marginalized and excluded. Through the Municipal ID Bill, the mayor will be able to increase the security and safety of illegal immigrants or others marginalized by society and allow them rights, such as access to public facilities which they originally might have feared. I was able to attend the bill signing that took place outside of the Brooklyn Public Library, and I heard many testimonials from individuals whose lives will be changed because of this bill. It was an extremely moving experience.

Caldwell 3Finally, I learned how much of a role the media plays in politics. I appreciate how the media portrays varying viewpoints and perspectives. It was really interesting to see a story play out through different venues. For example, it was fascinating to see the way the mayors’ actions could be morphed by others or interpreted differently and how viewpoints change and evolve.

Overall, I valued and enjoyed my experience. I look forward to working and learning more about politics and pursuing my interests of international relations this fall in Costa Rica for study abroad.

Editor’s Note: This guest blogger was a 2014 Scripps College Internship Grant recipient. To learn more about the 2015 Internship Grant process, click here.  Deadline Feb. 5.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *