Blank Space

Now before you start singing along with my bestie T-swizzle, you might be wondering how this song have anything to do with your career and internship search? Well funny you should ask!

One of the worries students have when they first enter college or even during these four years is that they are not doing enough (I have personally been under this line of thinking). So let me tell you how unhelpful it can really be and what you can do to get rid of it!

Don’t get me wrong, being involved in activities, groups, and organizations that you are passionate about is a wonderful way to gain professional experience and just have fun! But often times, when students think only about the *blank space* on their resume, things can get real bad.

nrm_1416159760-taylor-blank-space-face

If you make all your activities forever, then you may go down in flames!

At a certain point, yes it is important to have great internships and experiences on your resume (and I am sure you will all have these one day soon), it can also be unhealthy to spread ourselves too thin.

Don’t let your resume talk to you and say “Nice to meet you. Where you been?” I’m sure your resume could show you incredible things if you let it, but it’s important not to take on too many responsibilities, because other wise you may be overwhelmed.

So here are some tips to stay cool and calm, just like Taylor!

She knows how much she can handle!

She knows how much she can handle!

1. Take things one at a time and you will learn how much you can handle.
  2. It is okay to say no to certain responsibilities and yes to others. This is your life and you are in control of it!
  3. Your health is most important and in order to take care of yourself do not feel bad if you have to readjust your involvement in extra-curricular activities.
  4. What you are doing already is enough, do not feel you need to take on activities for anybody but yourself.

So don’t make that blank space take you too far! Make sure to be involved in what you care about for the reasons that are right for you!

Happy discovering!

Isabella

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *