Combatting Networking Dread

unnamed

I know I’m not the only one who hates this lovely little reminder in CP&R’s Career Services Guide, but I also know it wouldn’t be in here if it weren’t correct. So I guess we have to talk about it…1. Ew, why?
Just thinking about networking makes me tired (#IntrovertLife) so my first tip is to check out Daysha’s fabulous tips on networking for introverts because I have no idea what I’d do without this advice.

2. No really, why?!
Why are you putting yourself through this? Because it makes a difference. Not connecting with the Scripps Alum working at your dream company could mean the difference between getting the job and not getting the job. I know that sounds harsh, but it can be true. When you know someone there, that makes you more than an application, more than a face-less piece of paper. It makes you a real person with personality, insight, and witty conversational skills. (Though I only get that last one if they catch me on a good day…)

3. How?
Yeah, this part is awkward. Reaching out to random strangers, or even worse, reaching out to people to reach out to random strangers for you, is awkward. But I try to remind myself that it’s worth it and that people want to help me. No one got where they are alone. Everyone has mentors and connections that helped them get a foot in the door, and that’s really all you need. From there, you’ll wow them all by yourself. So don’t be afraid to send that email to a Scripps alum or request an introduction on LinkedIn. You could end up with an amazing opportunity, and you don’t know until you try!

4. What do I say?
Ask for an informational interview! Or more specifically, ask for a chance to talk to them about their experience in *insert field, or position, or company here*. Then, when it comes time to have the conversation, bring in questions and brainstorm topics in order to avoid the deer-in-headlights look.

5. When do I do this?
Now. Like at this very moment. Drop everything.

Not actually. Networking can happen anywhere, any time. Yes, it’s best to network before you apply for a position because then you can mention that person in your cover letter to let the recruiter know about the connection, but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t. Informational interviews give you a chance to get the feel for the company and get a lot of your questions answered.

The hardest thing for me to remember when I’m networking is that I don’t have to do this alone. I’m very independent and I hate the idea of relying on someone else, especially with something as important as my career. But I try to take a step back and remind myself that most people don’t do this entirely on their own; and I know when I’m settled into my career, I’ll definitely want Scrippsies to reach out to me for help and guidance! So if you’re deciding whether or not to send the awkward email or not send the awkward email, send it. It’s time to take Lorelai’s advice (which we should always do anyway) and face the things we don’t like, because some day it could lead to making this phone call:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *