We’re halfway there….

Wow! It is already late July, marking the just-past-the halfway point of my summer internship. This blog post will include some of my reflections of my internship so far, as I try to give myself an accurate self-evaluation.

The Good

From other internships, CP&R programs, and older Scripps students I learned the importance of networking. With this knowledge, I say “yes” to invitations for events, and even ask my supervisor for the OK to attend events with her that I see on her schedule. This can be awkward [at least for me, someone who worries about seeming too assertive] but I’ve realized the worst that could happen when you ask your boss if you can attend a meeting or help with a project, is that he/she says “no”. And what’s so bad about that? Since I’ve been putting myself out there with other people, besides my direct manager, they have repeatedly come to me with diverse assignments, allowing me to see different parts of the office.

Working with a small staff that includes several recent graduates has allowed me to start picturing where I’d like to be post-graduation. I’ve been able to talk to ever staff member about what their steps were after graduating college. I started thinking about what I liked/disliked about my overall work experience here, not just on the task that was on hand [I realized flexible work hours are very valuable, as well as having a supervisor who is close at hand].

The Could-Be-Better

I could always be asking for more work, if I could sit in on meetings, etc. Asking for access to more projects than I am given is a challenge for me because I worry about how it reflects on me. However, I’ve realized that I will get much more out of my time at the internship if I speak up and make myself useful.

I want to learn more about the institute I’m supporting. It is easy to go into an internship and complete your assignments and learn about the day-to-day tasks in the office. However, I’m hoping to understand the history, publications, and mission of the institution. In the remaining month of the internship I plan on setting up informal interviews with staff members to learn more about what they do, and what the organization means to them.

I’ve loved my internship so far, and the staff have been supportive and kind. It’s sad that I’m halfway done, but reflecting on the past few weeks helps me realize what more I can do here in the office!