Working towards “One of those Job Things”

Ever since my internship with Books & Such ended, I have felt extremely motivated to join the working world. I have found myself spending hours scouring the internet and Claremont Connect for internships, scrolling through the endless amount of clothes on Anthropologie (I need to build my professional, yet stylistic, wardrobe…duh), and even fantasizing about living on my own in an apartment this summer while working a super cool job (and wearing my super cool new clothes). 

One of the women I interviewed this summer, I’ll call her Shannon, gave me some advice pertaining to entering the working world. To her, one of the most necessary things to do when looking for a job is “building your brand and figuring out who you are.” In other words, she really believes “putting your name out there and having it attached to something” is incredibly important. 

My enthused approach to job hunting coincides perfectly with her advice. As a sophomore, I am just really trying to gain experience right now. We see so many movies and read so many books these days in which the protagonist is not hired for their “dream” job because they don’t have enough experience. Granted, they most always end up receiving a different, if not better, job offer…but I don’t know if life actually always works like that. As much as I believe in fairytales (quick reminder that I am obsessed with all things Disney), I also believe experience is key. If I am going to be turned down from my dream job, I don’t know if I want it to be because they don’t think I am “experienced” enough. I want the company to know that I have worked my butt off trying to get there, and that I would do the same once hired. 

I’ve spoken before about how it is just as important to use an internship as a way to figure out what you don’t like as what you do. I think that’s what Shannon meant by “figuring out who you are.” But, it’s also about marketing yourself. When you add a new piece of experience to your resume, whether you liked the experience or not, you are building your brand. You are adding pieces to the story of what has shaped you as a worker. The more projects I attach my name to, whether it be jobs, classes, internships, or volunteer work, the better chance I have at finding out who I am in the working world and also at displaying my working self. 

Now, I am not just trying to gain this experience simply for my resume— promise. That’s why I am taking so much time to search through job/internship postings. I want to make sure that I am not only doing something that I love, but also working towards something in which I believe. I know I will be able to work to my true potential if I believe in the motives behind a company. 

I completely agree with Shannon that building your brand is crucial. Knowing your work style and having the experience to back said style up is very important! But what do you guys think? Would you be okay not receiving a job at your “dream” company because of lack of experience? What would your next move be?