Breaking Break: How to Make the Most of Thanksgiving

Ahh, yes, it’s that time of year once again. The leaves are falling, the temperature is dropping (well, at least it should be), and the end of November is within grasp. This also means that a lot has been happening since our last little break, back in October, and the end-of-the-semester crunch is beginning to rear its nasty little head. I know I’m not the only one wondering where this semester has gone–let alone the rest of this year. Time sure flies when you’re having fun, right?

Wait, there are HOW many weeks left before winter break???

With final paper due dates looming in the not-so-distant future, different class projects that always seem to be due at the exact same time, thesis deadlines approaching far too rapidly, and this semester’s flex allotment nearing dangerously low levels, it is definitely the perfect time for a little break–from work, from stress, and from all the aforementioned factors that can really weigh us down this time of year. Enter: Thanksgiving break! The perfect blend of time off, relaxation, good food, and the last little rest before the final push of the semester. Whether you’re going home, staying on campus, or tagging along to someone else’s house for the holidays, the break is a great opportunity to take a mental break from the stress of school, but also finish up some of the work that can pile up before the end of the semester and finals time.

Me @ all of my assignments right now……yikes.

As someone who absolutely needs to do some work this Thanksgiving break, I’ve outlined some of the ways in which this Thanksgiving break can be the best one yet–getting the necessary time off that we all deserve, while making sure there is still some productivity happening during the days off. Have a look at some of the steps I will be taking to ensure I stay on top of things as I stuff my face with turkey and enjoy some quality cuddle time with my cat. Keep in mind, what works for me might not work for you. But, if that’s the case, then go ahead and design your own Thanksgiving to-do list!

See? You can be just as productive as this lil guy here.

So, without further ado, here’s my “Thanksgiving Break Productivity Cheat Sheet!”

(spoiler alert: it is very unlikely that I will be following all these steps to a tee, but at least the foundation for not completely sleeping through my entire break is on the table)

• Before you leave (or before break “officially” starts), plan out the work, applications, or specific assignments that you want to get done, and make sure to bring whatever you need to complete it.

This is particularly important if you are going to be traveling over break–be it home or elsewhere. If you need a specific book for reference as you finish up a paper, or need that one notebook you scribbled down some notes in for that one class, make sure you bring it! There is nothing worse than remembering that somewhere, in the deep crevices of your backpack, is a small piece of paper that has a really bomb piece of information on it that will totally cinch your conclusion. If you plan accordingly for the work you want to do, it will make it that much easier once it’s time to sit down and start it.

• Figure out a day (or days) that would work best for you to set aside for being productive, and make a plan for how you want to structure your working day.

For obvious reasons, the actual day of Thanksgiving might not be your best bet for having some time to get work done. I know that I will be waaaaayy too full of yummy food all day to even think about sitting down and writing–talk about a food coma. But, if that works for you, then go for it! Visualizing how you’re going to spend your break (whether it be with friends, family, or in bed snuggling with your pets) makes it easier to set aside some time for working, especially if you already know you have plans to work around.

• Tell your family/friends/pets that you want some time to yourself to do what you need to do.

It can be very tempting over break to try and squeeze in as much time with your friends and family that are in town as possible. If that’s what you want to do with your time, then have at it! Seeing old friends for the first time in a long time is a great way to rejuvenate after a solid couple of months of school. But, if you have work that needs to be done, letting them know ahead of time can help you make more effective plans, without hurting anyone’s feelings.

• Be realistic about what you want to/will get done! 

Look, it’s Thanksgiving break. If you get caught up in the holiday spirit, or take an impromptu trip with your family somewhere and spend less time on your essay or whatever, it’s not the end of the world. You deserve a little break! And, if you’re like me and know that you’ll probably get less work done than you initially planned, leaving a little wiggle room for some extra down time might not be a bad thing.

And, on that note……

• GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK!

It’s been a busy semester, and this break is happening for a reason (besides a government mandate…..you know what I mean). It’s good for us all to take a step back and reflect on how the semester has been going so far, and sometimes that means just getting out of the school mindset altogether. Especially at this time of year, instead of worrying about everything that is coming up after break (and it can be a lot, don’t get me wrong), think about everything that you’ve accomplished at this point. For seniors, this is pretty wild–it’s our last Thanksgiving as college students! We’ve done so much in our 3.5 years so far! But even if you’re not a senior, try reflecting back on all the papers, all the tests, and all the hard work you’ve put into your education. Seriously, you deserve a break!

So, keeping this all in mind, go forth and have a restful, well-fed Thanksgiving break. If you get all your work done, then hey! That’s great! But, if not, no worries. You’ll figure it out.

Happy holidays, and enjoy your time off~!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *