I am Science Dog

This semester has admittedly been challenging. A great deal has happened, and it seems so weird that it is almost over. It’s strange to think that at the end of your college career you can learn so much about yourself, but I suppose that is the odd thing about life. People change, you change, and everything changes as you get older. Perhaps it is not sudden change, but they are more gradual changes.

This blog post was honestly hard for me to come up with something to talk about. I mean in one semester I learned a lot, not just in my classes, but about myself. Overcoming over my fears of asking for help, and even being able to admit that I have no clue what I am doing, figuring out thesis, and

I mean, seriously, I really don’t have a clue what I am doing! Yet for some reason I get to have a poster session presenting  my senior thesis to my class this week. It’s ironic as I am really unsure what three-quarters of the research really tells me at this point. The only meme that perhaps captures how I feel this one:

However, I am certain (or choose to believe) it will be okay. Professors and staff genuinely want you to do well. The other part of this semester’s project, is of course the job search which is getting interesting. After going to Grace Hopper, which I mentioned earlier in this blog, and handing my resume out to probably fifty different companies. I am finally starting to hear back from some of them. They are asking me to submit resumes and create profiles online.  This is a very good development, but it’s also interesting to sit there and try to figure out how to write cover letters, and answer questions like: What do you think your starting salary should be? (This question is the one I always feel  is like the trick question, that I don’t always understand. a) Why do they ask or b)  What I am supposed to answer?)

Of course, these job discussions often lead me to thoughts about the future, and questions of graduate school. For me graduate school has always been something that I have been interested in, but have not considered in a serious manner until…. Well, probably like a month and a half ago. Granted I still haven’t decided what I would even want to go to graduate school for, so perhaps I will spend some time thinking over the next two years.

For now, I guess it is time to look to the future, to finishing thesis, to graduating, to finding a job, and to my future with my little leopard gecko.

image