On being a blogger: Thank you for thinking with me

I’ve written probably a hundred essays, maybe more. But this was the first time I ever blogged — ever put my own experiences and my little tokens of advice for an audience larger than the eyes of a professor. And it was very, very, very satisfying for me. I can only hope that it was for you, too.

I started this semester with a post about being “OK” with not having a plan. I still believe that. I wrote another post about how important it is to value your relationships when choosing a career. I still believe that. I published something about overcoming rejection with a your head high and mind strong. I still believe that. From all of these posts (and, of course, all the others), I not only believe in the words that I wrote — but oddly enough, I believe in myself a little bit more. Being able to talk about your accomplishments, your failures, or your life in general is completely therapeutic. It’s safe to say that, as busy students, we don’t take enough time to just stop and think about our life, our well-being.

Blogging has encouraged me to think about the areas of my life I wouldn’t have thought about at length. Coming to terms with what stresses you out, what excites you, and what motivates you allows you to appreciate your strength, while also exposing where you can improve. As my last piece of career-related advice for this semester, I encourage all of you to take the time to think. That’s right, think. Assess where you stand (not literally, although that might be applicable), where you want to be, and how your can get there. Acknowledge what you’re thankful for and why. Look back to when you succeeded, but also when you may have failed. The end of the semester may be the closing of one chapter, but it’s also the opening of another. Taking the time the evaluate is more beneficial than it is cheesy, I promise you.
Thank you for an incredible second-to-last semester, Scripps. May next semester present a new round of successes, and maybe a fail or two so I can continue giving advice. Have a wonder winter break!