I Need the Monies! How to Get an Individual Grant

Whether you’re a penniless student, a starving artist, an unpaid intern, or any other person who has the dream but not the means, you need an individual grant.  As an undergrad with little of my own money, I’ve learned about the process from the inside.  Here are some of the basics:

1. Finding Funders

Finding a funder is half the job, but unfortunately it’s also the most tedious half. The Foundation Center has a lot of resources to help you get started.  Michigan State University has a “database of databases” for grants, although I personally find it a bit overwhelming.  Especially when you’re just beginning.  Still, it’s a broad enough resource to potentially apply to anyone.  You can find more specific sites and databases depending on what you’re planning to do—be it scientific research or attending a conference or doing an extended art project.  You could also look into the National Science Foundation or the New York Foundation for the Arts.  If you’re a student, your college also likely has funding from its official resources as well as student organizations.

During your search, you will experience frustration. I 1000% guarantee it.  Several funds will look so hopeful and so you, until you read the tagline at the bottom that says: For residents in Allenhurst, New Jersey only.  Who even lives there anyway?  You’ll wade through so many profiles until your eyes droop, but keep pressing until you have found at least two or three potential funders.  You might need more than one funder just for a single project.  Besides, backups are always a smart option.

1. Project Proposal

So, what does a proposal look like? It depends on the funder.  They might have a specific set of questions laid out for you to answer.  You might have to write a free-form proposal.  However the application looks, I found specificity to be the most useful tip.  What does your project look, feel, or taste like?  Imagine yourself doing your project—interviewing homeless veterans, creating a sculpture of recycled tires, researching fish brains at a university lab.  Think of all the details you have to take care of to make that happen.  What supplies do you need?  What are the costs?  Who will you work with and how?  It’s impossible to be too specific.

1. Personal Statement

The previous tip applies to personal statements, too, should you need to write one. This is not a dry academic paper for your English class.  This is an expression of you and why you are the ideal person to do your project.  Tell the funder stories that could only come from you.  Plenty of people have gotten gold medals in school or lost a soccer game or received a bad grade.  But who else learned Japanese by listening to music on the bus, or started a book club that combines comics and fantasy novels?  What are your particular interests?  Who are you as a person?  I hope you don’t fall into an identity crisis in trying to answer these questions, but they are important to consider.  You are a human being, not just a piece of paper.  Remind yourself and remind the people who are reading your proposal of that truth.

1. The Budget

You need to integrate the total costs of your project in your proposal if you don’t have a separate page for your budget. How much money are you asking for?  The maximum award?  Less than that?  Break down the grant into categories and subcategories, naming the price for things such as conference registration fee, travel, or supplies.  Show the funder that you know what you’re doing and you have the ability to actually carry out this project.  Remember the golden rule: specificity.

If you ever feel exhausted or impatient with this whole process, remember your goal is not getting money. It’s what you want to do with that money.  If you want to make your project happen (and I assume you do), let that show through in your application.  You already have the passion, so make it your strength and take the plunge!

Bridgette Ramirez

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *