When I Grow Up: Pursuing Your Childhood Dreams

When I was younger, I wanted to be everything.  I went through phases pursuing every career path in the book, bouncing from doctor to archaeologist to dancer and back again, just as many kids do.

When I was in 6th grade, I thought that I found my life’s calling.  I had always loved to read, and I though being at school was quite fun.  Me, being a fairly practical child, already understood that teachers didn’t make a whole lot of cash, so I went and declared that my ultimate goal was to become an English Literature professor.  I had my whole life plan set out: attend undergrad, get my doctorate, and then get hired at a prestigious institution where I would become world-renowned as one of the most prolific, young, and hip members of my academic community.  Any of you who have read my past posts, or know me at all, will recognize that this is not at all the path that I have been pursuing as a young adult.  Nonetheless, I followed my path of literary classics all the way until second semester of my second year of high school.3-1

Sophomore year, I was enrolled in AP Biology. I realised that I loved books, but I loved biology even more. I decided I wanted to pursue a career in medicine. I saw a life filled with genetics and diagnostics flash before my eyes. I basically wanted to be House, except with a better bedside manner and a tad less cynicism.3-2

I once again threw myself into pursuing the path that I thought was “the one.” However, one of my good friends told me that I would never be a human doctor because I was meant to be a veterinarian. I laughed and blew him off every time that he said this, which was a lot more frequently that you would think. Little did I know that he was 100% correct. But hey, I’m getting ahead of myself.

Throughout high school, I volunteered at a hospital, read anatomy books, and looked for colleges that I thought would best situate me to get into medical school. I did all of the right things, but something still didn’t feel right. Every so often, my friend would nudge me toward animal medicine, and every time, I would shut him down. I couldn’t be a vet, I thought. It’s too sad, too depressing, and even though I love animals, I know I couldn’t handle it.  If I cry just at the thought of that Sarah McLaughlin SPCA commercial, how could I ever see sick animals on a daily basis?3-3

Then, during the second semester of my first year at Scripps, I was offered a veterinary summer internship at my local animal shelter. I felt so conflicted, but finally decided to take the plunge and try it out. On my first day there, I fell in love with the world of veterinary medicine and haven’t looked back since. My friend has never let me forget it.

3-4
Looking back, I laugh at how silly and stubborn I was when I was younger, always chasing the dream of the year. As funny as I think it was, truthfully, I learned so many lessons from those dreams, most importantly how to pursue true passions. It might take some time to find the right career fit, but when you do, give it your all. I am meant to be a vet, and I truly believe that the joy that I have found in this career path is special and waiting out there for everyone. If there is one thing to take away from this post, let it be this: believe in your dreams just like you did as a kid and pursue your passions. Your drive will take you far, and you will never regret it.

3-5