Managing Midterms

Fall is my favorite time of the year. The leaves change color, the air is crisp (even in Claremont), and the sun hangs a little lower in the sky, foreshadowing the inevitable chills of winter. The sweaters come out, the apple-picking ensues, and pumpkin pops up in every possible product. It’s a beautiful time of year, and with Fall Break around the corner, it’s hard not to be excited about this lovely season.

Despite all the perks of autumn, it also comes with a cost: The midterm rush has begun.

We’ve settled into classes by now, and (hopefully) figured out sustainable routines. And with a break on the horizon, it’s more than enough motivation to get through the seventh week of the semester. For me, there never seems to be a time when college slows down. There’s never an allotted (or acceptable) time to “chill,” because of college’s 24/7 fast-paced nature. So this week, I’d like to put my career posts on hold to talk about something that’s been on my mind a while: The dreaded midterm season.

Sometimes, it comes in waves. In the past, you’ve had an essay due one week, and a presentation the next. No problem; you’ve endured worse in your college experience. But what happens when you have an entire week of insanity? What happens when you have a midterm, project, and two essays due within a four-day span?

That will be me in two weeks. I will endure those late-night study sessions, fueled by heavy doses of Matcha Chachas and Trader Joe’s snacks. Everyone gets through midterm season, one way or another. We always do the best we can, and survive when faced with these unpleasant circumstances. How do you get through a stressful academic week?

My methods of coping during these weeks are nightmarish. My structured schedule goes out the window: I stay up late, I wake up early, I drink caffeine until it becomes the blood pumping through my veins, and I eat all the chocolate in sight. In the past, I have studied in the same place for days. The library has become my study space, cafeteria, and bedroom during finals week.

What’s worse is that during this time, I completely isolate myself from the world. A friend might text me reminding me that we have dinner plans Monday. and I’ll cancel: I’m busy studying for a midterm Friday. Yes, four days in advance, I’ve already become a basket case, endlessly obsessing over the test and predicting the worst will occur. You get the picture: I become a little monster when finals roll around.

We all have different strategies to get through these stressful times, but I wanted to get some expert advice on preparing mentally and physically for a test. Here are some tips to get help through these crazy times, according to US News

1. Plan ahead. Know in advance when your busiest times arise by checking the syllabus for each class. Invest in a planner, or even a calendar to plot all your major academic, extracurricular, and social events. At the beginning of each semester, I go through the tedious process of adding each outstanding assignment into my schedule. I’ll also add a note a week before each big project, reminding myself to get started studying early. That way, I’m not blindsided the night before an essay is due or a test is assigned.

2. Take breaks. With so much to do in so little time, you may feel like your only option is to work nonstop. But the opposite is true: Your brain needs a little R&R time to better absorb the material. Especially when changing between subjects, take some time to recharge and shift gears, and reward yourself with a little rest!

3. Be kind to your body. Try to get as much sleep as possible, especially the night before an exam. And know when to go to bed. If you’ve already been studying for three hours, and feel your brain melting to mush, it’s time to put down the flashcards. You’re no longer absorbing meaningful information, and only losing precious sleep time by staying up. It may not be possible to get the ideal 7-8 hours every night, but do the best you can to maximize your sleeping time. Maintain good hygiene by taking showers and doing laundry. Nothing feels worse than rolling into a test in dirty clothes.

4. Eat Well and Exercise: As the article says, these are often the first to go. It’s true: With only a day left to study for a test, we usually don’t think about going for a run or grabbing the most nutritional meal. But even the littlest changes can make a huge difference: You don’t have to run a marathon, but take a 15-minute walk to break up studying time. Remember to eat breakfast, get your proteins and your greens, and eat regularly. I love turning to Pinterest during finals week for some awesome snack ideas!

The article didn’t include this last tip, but I wanted to remind you that no matter what the results, just do your best. Put your best effort into that test, essay or project, and remember: It’s just one assignment. Though it may seem like the weight of the world rests on the grade, are you really going to remember how you did on that one midterm, five years from now? Most likely, you will not. Good luck, and have a wonderful Fall Break!