How to Look Pinterest-Good in the Office, on a Budget!

If proper interview and work place attire were left up to me, I would impose a set of laws that allows for sweatpants and all shades of pink as appropriate. Unfortunately, what is considered workplace appropriate, often does not fall into my ideal guidelines… Although many company cultures are shifting towards the more relaxed and casual look, most businesses require a certain look that screams professional, put-together and frankly, boring. Thus, last summer, when I had to dress business casual everyday, I was worried that my day-to-day outfits were going to consist of drab suits paired with plain stiff shirts. As a lover of fashion and the color pink, I wasn’t looking forward to the “dress-the-part” aspect of my new job.

061715-hillary-clinton-pantsuits-lead

I don’t know if anyone but Hillary could pull that off…

To be honest, I wasn’t even sure what business causal looked like, which is probably why my vision of a drab pantsuit was so initially terrifying to me. I did some research on Pinterest, searching “business casual” and “office chic”, etc. Many of the results were helpful in getting a grasp on how someone can pull off the pantsuit or business skirt look, but many of the looks presented on the models (who didn’t look like they were rushing on their way to work by the way) were of clothes I definitely did not own, and I didn’t want to have to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on, just to look office chic.

screenshot-2016-10-22-11-25-46

Some Pinterest models “going to work”

banana-republic-sloan-fit-slim-ankle-pant-blac

Banana Republic work pants!

When I looked through my closet, I realized that my wardrobe didn’t necessarily classify as “professional” from the outset. Panicking, I drove off downtown to find some new, professionally acceptable clothes. I knew I was on a college student budget, and thus, avoided visiting the more upscale stores that sell $500 pantsuits. I opted for the cheaper, yet fashion-forward options such as H&M, Banana Republic, Forever 21 and Zara. I knew I needed some staple pieces, which I could mix and match, so I wouldn’t need to buy 18 new shirts with an array of pants to match. Instead, I opted for the classic black business pants from Banana Republic, which reminded me of my middle school violin concerts, but were pants that I knew I should own. That specific pair of pants, although not super cute and a bit over budget, fit me very well and were a necessary staple.

forever-21-beige-peaked-lapel-blazer-product-1-18734761-2-393969010-normal

Super cute and affordable white and black blazer form F21.

Next, I looked for work shirts. Although I was dreading having to wear the long-sleeved, stiff shirts all day, H&M’s entire department or women’s chic office wear is super cute and affordable, and provided me with many options that didn’t make me want to cringe. I bought a few classic work shirts, of varying colors that speak to my personality, which could easily be paired with my new black workpants. I also found an adorable white pencil skirt, which could also be paired with my new work shirts. I wandered into Forever 21, where I successfully located a black and white blazer, form fitting and a sleek style, which 00218518-01 were both very affordable and worked well with my new closet finds. Next, I had to find a pair of comfortable high heels and flats (for when my feet inevitably gave out on me) that were affordable. Forever 21, always coming in clutch, provided me with an array of affordable and cute shoes that were office appropriate. I opted for a pair of black high heels, and a pair of nude flats, that worked with all of my outfit combinations. Zara, although not in all areas, has a wide array of office wear that is made to make you look super chic and European. In total, I was able to spend under my estimated budget of $200, which for 10 new staple items to add to my closet, I would say was a success.

That night, when I went home, and started hanging up my new clothes, I realized that maybe some of the clothes I already had, although not work place appropriate from the get-go, could be manipulated to be so. For example, a black cropped tank top, which I had presumed to be off-limits, could work with my high-waisted pencil skirt and a white blazer to cover the shoulders. And that several dresses I owned could work in an office setting with a cute blazer and flats. With a new set of eyes, I looked again at my closet to find a good amount of clothes that could work well with my new finds to create several appropriate workplace looks. Although I may not look as effortlessly put-together and fashionable as those models on Pinterest, I’d like to think that I came to my first day of work looking professional and confident thanks to my new wardrobe!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *