Professional Idols: Hepburn and Gaga

We all have seen or even met people we admire. We may admire certain people for different reasons: maybe it’s their accomplishments, their unique interests, or the way they conduct themselves. Regardless, we have role models who inspire us to think bigger and do better every day.

http://giphy.com/gifs/motivational-DlPcA9y1IdIWc

Sometimes in job interviews or ice-breaker games, you’ll get the question, Who is your role model? To me, that seems nearly impossible to answer! Among the billions of people in the world, why (and how) would you choose only one? There are so many great people, but among my favorites are Audrey Hepburn and Lady Gaga. On paper, these women couldn’t be more opposite: Their artistic passions differ, their times in the spotlight don’t overlap, and their tastes in fashion definitely contrast.

Growing up, I always admired Audrey Hepburn’s incredible acting, singing, and dancing in My Fair Lady and Breakfast at Tiffany’s. One year for my birthday, my mom gave me How to be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life; I keep it next on my dresser at school for inspiration. But what I find even more captivating than Audrey’s skills and personal style is her modesty, poise, and optimism. She epitomizes grace because of her humble nature. She never tried to be glamorous; in fact, the less she tried, the more she was. And yet, she was never fazed by the eyes of the world watching and adoring her; under the public lens, she remained cool, calm and collected. I strive to be like Audrey, who brought humility, poise, and compassion to every task she completed.

Audrey Hepburn Movie GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

On one hand, I aspire toward Audrey’s composed spirit. On the other, I’m drawn toward characters who aren’t afraid to take risks and express their unique opinions, even when some find them polarizing. For this reason, I’m fascinated by Lady Gaga. Despite some of her controversial music, performances, comments and fashion statements, Gaga owns who she is. She is fearless; she stands strong in her beliefs and personal being. She acknowledges that not everyone is going to like what she does, what kind of music she makes, or whether she chooses to wear a meat dress one day. Instead of letting criticism overpower her life, she lives by the motto, At the end of the day, you won’t be happy until you love yourself. Gaga is so much more than an entertaining artist; she’s a human being who is has embraced her entity, and inspires others to be proud of who they are.

Lady Gaga Singing GIF by NFL - Find & Share on GIPHY

On the surface, Audrey Hepburn and Lady Gaga may not appear to have much in common. What they undoubtedly share is an incredible ability to embrace their personas creatively and positively. What’s more: They encourage their fans to be strong, tenacious, and kind to both themselves and each other. Anyone who can carry themselves with confidence and grace is a hero in my books.