My Favorite Advice

Job applications are scary. The thought of putting time and energy into something you truly want and potentially being rejected is enough to make you slam your laptop shut and go find a new Netflix show to binge watch. However, after finishing my show, I always think about my favorite piece of advice. I received my (now) favorite piece of job search advice—and honestly life advice—three years ago. I remember looking at college applications when my Grandpa asked me what I was looking for in a college. I responded something about prioritizing colleges within my grade point average and ACT range to which he replied, “Well, just get your information out there. You never know what they’re looking for.”

I’ve been thinking about this conversation lately. Three years ago, it influenced my decision to apply to many colleges that weren’t necessarily within my reach and is influencing me now to apply to internships I would have never thought within reach. The idea of just getting something “out there” can apply to almost anything. It’s become my universal mantra for times when I’m nervous I’ll fail in a situation. When you’re considering not applying to something because you don’t know how to phrase the cover letter, or if you’re a little underqualified—the best thing to do is just get it out there. Start the draft, edit it a few days later, get a second pair of eyes on it, learn from your feedback, and send it in. The perception of failure always ends up being greater than the actual failure itself.

What’s your favorite piece of job advice? Let me know in the comments!