Interview with Recent Scripps Grad

Q1 MN: When did you graduate and what was your major/minor? And where are you currently working/have worked since graduation.

SK: I graduated Class of 2016 as a Politics and International Relations major, with a Media Studies minor. I currently work at the Law Offices of Adam Green as an Immigration Paralegal.

Q2 MN: What has been the biggest challenge so far in post-grad life?

SK: Literally everything. You’re going from a fairly structured environment and lifestyle to one where you have to structure everything yourself. You have to find housing (you would appreciate hall draw because at least you know you’ll be housed in the end), you have to budget your money fairly well, understand how to do a lot of things on your own and stay on top of it (i.e. taxes, health insurance, transportation & how you’re going to commute to work, paying all your bills on time & etc), and still somehow manage to find time for yourself to do things you enjoy and give you a peace of mind because work is exhausting and draining both mentally and physically no matter what kind of job you have. Additionally, as an international student immigration issues are always the biggest challenges of living and working in the United States.

Unknown

Q3 MN: What do you miss most about Scripps?

SK: I miss being in an academic learning environment, having easy (and free) access to a wide variety of resources, close proximity to all my friends, and being able to attend all the stimulating lectures/events.

Q4 MN: What do you miss least/enjoy the most about life after Scripps?

SK: I love the independence I have and as challenging as this adjustment period has been, I feel so accomplished and proud of all that I have been able to manage on my own. Living in LA is also very exciting as there is always something to do, somewhere to go, people to meet, and great food to eat!

Q5 MN: How has your liberal arts degree helped you in your career/how does it set you apart?

SK: The number one benefit my liberal arts education has given me is the tools to be able to think for myself…as simple as that sounds, it’s surprising how far that will take you. Being able to critically analyze, problem solve, write, and communicate effectively are fundamental to almost any job, but it has been especially valuable to have worked on developing those skills early on for my job as a paralegal. There is not a day that goes by where I don’t have to actively practice the above four skills I just mentioned. I’m not saying that it isn’t a challenge still (because it most definitely is), but having a holistic education has allowed me to carry out job duties with more ease and has also allowed me to bring in a fresh perspective amongst my co-workers.

I also want to comment on having received a Scripps specific liberal arts degree and how that has empowered me to navigate my work space as a woman of color and as an international student given the socio-political environment in the country. Sexism and racism are prevalent everywhere we go and therefore navigating through that while keeping your professionalism is crucial, and I believe my time at Scripps (both academically and socially), equipped me well.

Q6 MN: If you could give one piece of advice to a current student, what would it be?

SK: Network!!! If you had talked to me while I was still a student, you would know how much I hated that word and concept. I was always someone who found networking and making connections draining, but I can’t tell you how many resources are around you on a college campus and how little students actually end up using them. The biggest piece of advice I would give a current student is get to know your professors because they are not only incredible people who have probably already done the job you’re about to step into, but they will help connect you to their incredible network if/when appropriate!

giphy

Q7 MN: What is something you are glad you did in college?/Did you have any summer internships, and how did these experiences help you in your career after graduation?

SK: Yes, I had internships during the school year as well as summers all four years of college.

There are so many internship/work opportunities in college (even through your classes), so I’m really glad that I incorporated those opportunities into my time at Scripps. Whether that was through my Core III language teaching class, interning with Crossroads Women through Prof. Auerbach’s Food Practicum course, applying and receiving internship grants through CP&R for internships abroad, serving as a Senior Interviewer for the Office of Admissions, or interning at the Downtown Women’s Center through LASPA—I’m thankful for all the opportunities because each one of them gave me new insights and helped me understand what it means to work in a professional space before diving into my first real job. Work experiences teach you a tremendous amount about what it means to work with different kinds of people and I can’t stress how important that is. No matter how important the mission of your company/organization is and how much that resonates with you, if you can’t build an environment and have a team that is conducive to achieving that mission, it really does become miserable to go to work every day. All internships are valuable! Yes even the ones where you were bored out of your mind because experiences help you decide what works for you and what doesn’t work for you, what you want to continue doing and what you could never see yourself doing, and what kind of environment you need in order to be motivated and productive.

Overall, I loved hearing Sharika’s perspective on her post-grad experience so far, and especially her advice on the importance of networking during college.