That Time I Missed My Final…

Between finishing up classes for the year, packing and moving out for the summer, and attending graduations and end-of-the-year parties, are there are several fun activities to juggle in May.

Tv GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Although these last few weeks are filled with many exciting events and changes, students must get first get through the most daunting part of the year: Finals. Whether it’s a paper, presentation, or exam, odds are each class comes with some form of testing. Despite the stress of preparing for multiple courses, it’s crucial to now, more than ever, find a way to stay calm and organized. This is much easier said than done, especially during finals.

Study GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

For most, the weeks leading up to finals call for long days and nights of cramming. Some will reduce their social activities and sleep to get ready for their tests. As a second-semester junior, I’ve already made it through five finals weeks, and by the end of each, I’ve become an absolute basket case. Please read on if you don’t believe me.

Stress GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

In the fall of my junior year, my last exam was for an English course. The test was scheduled for the Thursday of finals week. The week would be rough: I had finals on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, which meant I only had so much time to devote to each subject before turning around and immediately shifting gears. So by Wednesday, I was fresh off two finals for Economic Development and Introduction to Macroeconomics when I first began studying for English.

Study GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I’d written in my planner that each of my three finals began at 2 pm. Immediately after I finished my Macro final on Wednesday, I began preparing for English. With under 24 hours to study character IDs and reflect on themes from nine authors and poets, including Chaucer, Donne, and Shakespeare, I knew I was in way over my head. I couldn’t believe how late I’d begun studying the texts, and knew getting through all the material in one night would be nearly impossible.

What’s worse, I was already fried from my previous exams: I could feel my brain turning mush by 9 pm that night. Although I’d barely begun studying, I vowed that if I went to bed then, and woke up early enough to start cramming in the morning, I just might make it through the test.

Baby GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I woke up promptly at 6 am, feeling refreshed from a smooth nine hours of rest. I felt unstoppable: I was ready to get started and hopefully crank out some insightful work. To keep myself from getting distracted, I turned off my phone and computer for hours. I’d really gotten in the zone, and by 12 pm, I’d made it through material from eight of the nine authors. With two hours to spare, I knew I could use a little break before the final. I got properly dressed, washed my face, and grabbed my laptop to check my email quickly before heading to lunch.

Sourcefed GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

To my surprise, I’d received an email from my English professor. The message had been sent at 9:15 am; its subject read “Exam”. The teacher asked me I was okay, and whether I was aware that the final had already begun. Confused by the email, I scrolled back through the course’s syllabus. Sure enough, the final had been scheduled to begin not at 2 pm, but at 9 am.

What GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Had I literally just missed a final?! I started sweating profusely as the blood rushed to my cheeks. In that same instant, my professor sent me a follow-up message. The email asked me to respond immediately if I wished to take the exam; otherwise, I would fail the class.

Panic GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I didn’t have a moment to lose. I darted out of my room, and sprinted to my professor’s office with nothing more than a pen. I apologized profusely for my lack of preparedness, begging for a chance to somehow take the exam. Although my professor had a plane to catch and couldn’t monitor the test, my teacher reassured me that together, we would find someone who could. Sure enough, a professor agreed to proctor the exam, and I began the final immediately.

I couldn’t believe the generosity my professor had offered me, and was so grateful to have had the ability to receive a second chance to take the final. By the time I sat down to begin the test, all my studying had gone out the window. I was so frazzled by how close I’d come to failing a class, and incredulous of my lack of attention to detail and bad planning. Even though the overall grade wasn’t quite what I’d hoped for, I was lucky enough to have even passed the course.

Tv GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

If I’ve learned anything from this crazy experience, it’s to always double-check the syllabus for crucial dates and deadlines. I’ve never been more embarrassed than by botching the time of a final. And now, looking back on that final six months later, I can only laugh at and try to avoid repeating such an enormous, silly mistake.

Lol GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Congratulations on a wonderful year friends! Good luck to you all in your finals, and have a memorable and restful summer!

Hallmark Ecards GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY