Finding the Right Fit

Part of the job search should consider workplace culture fit, including but also beyond what type of impression you get from the website and marketing materials. Answers to questions like “Would I wake up everyday looking forward to work?” or “How much room is there for growth over time?” are important but are not always at the forefront during the search and are usually the first things we forget to consider before taking an offer, because well, you know, employment.

I am very fortunate to have great work-life balance and really approachable, down-to earth coworkers, things I definitely got the positive sense for during the job process but fully realized and experienced after coming on board (There’s also a decent gym in the building and a trail around a lake in the neighboring residential area that I frequent often!). The job search is about employment, but it’s also about fit. You’re trying to find a good fit, and so is the company. It’s as much about your skills, work ethic, and experiences as it is your personality and demeanor. And if you’re ever in the situation where you want to make a change to a different path, more experience will help open up more opportunities.

In my search, because I thought about workplace culture fit, I ended up applying to a lot of different types of companies from performing art nonprofits, performance venues, privacy technology firms, research think tanks, and consulting firms. I used LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and the company website to get a surface level view on the company, and then tried to seek out people who worked there for informational interviews (there are a lot of no’s and unanswered queries throughout this part, and it is much easier for me to write about now because I have a job, but I’ve been there before and there’s no guarantee I won’t be at some point in the future).

Like any review site, Glassdoor testimonials should be taken with a grain of salt, but I do believe the average ratings speak for something. It is still filtered, but nonetheless a good resource to see what people are commenting on; the recruiting and interview process, on-boarding, and long-term employee satisfaction. I’ve found that people are most compelled to write reviews for really great experiences or really bad ones. So again, judge the material to your discretion. That’s why informational interviews with people who work at the company (who aren’t in HR or recruiting) are also very valuable. Regardless if you knew the individual for elsewhere or have connected with them for an informational interview, you’ll hear different insights, experiences, and perspectives. 

Finding a job and defining a working living is a hard process, to say the least, but we all ultimately want to be in a place that gives us a sense of purpose and drive, whatever that may look like. The path to that will be nonlinear, and may not start with your first job, but each opportunity can be a stepping stone to what you really want. It’s equally important to know what you want and what you don’t want. Don’t sell yourself short and decide when compromising may be more detrimental to your own goals. We deserve to be happy in our jobs!

Next week I will be writing about finding balance between work, creativity, and life!

P.S. Here is a little work-place video to brighten up your day (yes, I have been re-watching The Office again).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *