Who Holds Opportunity?

My dad asked me this question among conversations about my job. It’s true, you can make your opportunities, but that always involves going the extra mile and being noticed by a colleague, your boss, or someone else above you. So the answer to the question is generally this, in a workplace, your boss holds opportunity, but you need to do the work to get it. Going the extra mile will always be noticed and will open up other opportunities for you. Not only will it be appreciated by your supervisor or coworkers, but with consistency, it can compound into many positive things during your current role and after you may choose to leave. Many of these will vary based on the culture of your workplace, but here are small ways go the extra mile at work and gain more opportunities.

Arrive a little early. Or stay a bit late. If you’re expected to be at work at 9 AM, give yourself a buffer, be at your desk, staring up at least by 8:50 AM, if not earlier. For me, I’ve found I work better in the morning before the day ramps up with meetings and other tasks and before the afternoon slump hits me.

Ask coworkers about their roles and how you could be involved. Especially during the learning curve of a new role, your instincts in your role are not as developed. You might not be entirely sure what is the best use of your time or what is expected of you during a certain business cycle. Hopefully the next tip will help with that, but until then, talk to your coworkers, ask them questions, and ask if there is anything you can help them out with.

Meet with your boss about your role. Having a conversation with your boss about your goals and how you want to develop is a direct benefit to all parties involved. Your boss will recognize the initiative to talk about your role and can steer more opportunities your way that are aligned with what you’re hoping to do and gain. You will also feel like your talents and skills are being fully utilized and valued within your team and or company. You definitely want to feel like your skills are being recognized and utilized, so make sure they are known!

Dress to impress. Also know as dress for the job you want to have. This can be interpreted in different ways and have different applications depending on the industry (I’d love to wear sandals, sneakers, floral dresses, and my denim jacket to work everyday if my industry was that way). Even if you have a casual dress code, dressing in an appropriate way that makes you feel confident will definitely project. For instance, I work at a small consulting firm, and for a small consulting firm, not everyone is dressed in suits or the traditional business for a attire. That being said, everyone still dresses in a professional way. I probably don’t have to wear a blazer jacket to work, and I’ve only not worn one twice, but I always do because I am the youngest in my office. The (literal) extra layer of clothing helps me feel confident in a workplace full of long-time employees.

Stay connected. Met some colleagues from the other side of the building before an all-hands meeting? Maybe at happy hour? Going up in the elevator with a new face to the same floor of your building? In any role, it’s very likely you will be meeting lots of people, so stay connected once you meet them. A quick walk over to their office to say hi or an email if they work off-site is a great way to expand your network within your company and create a collegial community. Plus, you may end up having to work with them on a project! So the more names to faces you can get, the better.

Take initiative. Have an idea to expand the future potential of a project? To include a new feature in the quarterly newsletter? While leaders may hold opportunity, it is your responsibility to get them. Making your ideas and interest known will lead others to think of you as someone who is ready to spring into action. Taking initiative is the most important part in gaining more opportunities and defining your role at work!