Six Savvy Things To-Do After Your Summer Internship Ends

So you nailed the interview and got the internship. Now that the summer is over and the internship is completed, what’s next?

1. Write your employer a thank-you note.

It seems to go without saying that you should thank your employer or internship coordinator for the opportunity. Whether or not you ended up enjoying the field you were in that summer, it is important to acknowledge the time and effort put forth by those who trained and assisted you. This note should be handwritten and personal.

2. Ask your employer for constructive feedback about your work from the summer.

Although it can be uncomfortable to receive constructive criticism, this step is essential. Not only will it help you grow as a person, but it will additionally demonstrate your dedication to the company. Showing interest in developing your work-ethic is a lifelong skill that should be mastered early.

3. Update your resume and LinkedIn profile.

You just spent your summer working—give yourself a pat on the back! Update your credentials while the details of what you did are still fresh in your mind. As always on a resume, show and don’t tell! Avoid generic descriptions and be honest about your achievements.

4. Update and maintain your social networking.

Establishing and maintaining these relationships may lead to new opportunities or simply allow you to pick the brains of professionals in the field. You just expanded your professional network! Do not let these connections go to waste. Add them on LinkedIn and grab their business cards. Send an email if you do any work related to the field during the school year. Often, your employers like to see the impact that they have had on your career and will appreciate that you are still thinking about them.

5. Maintain professionalism.

Although your time at the internship may be over, you should not change your professional relationship with the individuals inside of the company. This goes hand-in-hand with maintaining media-platforms that are professionally sound. The “would my grandmother be appalled at this” rule-of-thumb generally works well here. In addition, filter your opinions about your experience. Even if you do not intend to return to work for the company, you should try to avoid bad-mouthing your employer or their practice. If what you say gets back to them, you may threaten the potential for a letter of recommendation or future employment with the company or those they know.

6. Ask for the job!

If you loved your work this summer, don’t be afraid to inquire about the opportunity for paid-positions in the future. These conversations must be direct, but graceful. There is a time and a place to talk to your employer and it is not in the middle of their workday. If it does not work out, then thank them for their time and move on! You will approach your next experience with a breadth of new knowledge, a firmer handshake, and a bigger smile.

Do you have any tips for following-up on summer internships? We would love to hear them! Leave a comment below and tell us about your experience.

One thought on “Six Savvy Things To-Do After Your Summer Internship Ends

1. I love this list, Julia. I have had so many interns over the years and there are several that still keep in touch with me. That means they are at the forefront of my mind when I learn of new opportunities that come along, and I do what I can to support them. Interns are such a valuable part of the team — and a huge chance for new professionals to show off their commitment and willingness to learn.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *