Stumbled Upon: Taking Advantage of Unexpected Opertunities

You never know where opportunity will arise from but when it does be primed and ready to grab it. Here’s a great example:  I went to Harvey Mudd’s dining hall for lunch with a friend, excited about nothing more than getting a delicious salad.  Walking into the dining hall I discovered something unexpected.  A few people had a table set up by the entrance advertising a panel happening that evening.  They were from Universal Creative, the theme park attraction arm of Universal Studios.  When I approached their table they explained who they were.  Not knowing much about theme park design and construction, I assumed that they were at Mudd looking for engineering students but they became excited when I mentioned that I am a Theater major.  They even had “Theater Majors” listed on their flyer to inform people about the dinner panel.  By sheer coincidence I had stumbled on a panel that might pertain to my interests!  I certainly wasn’t going to let this interesting opportunity pass me by so I attended the panel that night.

As I expected, the room was mostly made up of Mudd students although I did find a good friend from the Theater department to sit with.  We first listened to the representatives’ talk about the organization and pitch of their intern program and their intern program.  They are seeking out theater students because of the creativity that the discipline inspires.  What struck me most was their focus on interdisciplinary partnerships.  They want to see people of all backgrounds collaborating on the projects for their theme parks.  I liked that they emphasized everyone’s participation in the creative process because everyone is working to make the vision come to life. 

I don’t know if a career in theme park design is right for me but it was certainly wonderful to learn more about a different field.  The most important part of the evening, in my mind, is after the panel because it gives you a chance to approach and interact with interesting panelists.  I got to speak with panelists and discover how their creative passions fit into the company.  Far too many people leave early or right when the event ends, so my best piece of advice is to try and make a positive impression by staying attentive, asking insightful questions and staying to chat with panelists after the official event ends.  Also bring your resume – You never know when you will need it. If you take advantage of opportunities and make a good impression, the sky is the limit!

Scared Despicable Me GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *