Appreciating Women’s Colleges (Women’s History Month)

March has come to an end, and before it is a distant memory I want to acknowledge Women’s History Month. Personally, seeing as women have existed all of history, I don’t know why we aren’t a more significant part of history all the other eleven months as well, but that’s a rant for a different blog.

At the beginning of March, I happened upon an article entitled “Women’s History Month: The Power of All-Girls Schools” by Tereza Nemessanyi on the Huffington Post. In addition to simply reminding me I go to an all-girls school (it can be surprisingly easy to forget with guys in the classes and once you get used to Diva Cups being sold at the Motley), it reminded me of many of the reasons I chose Scripps. And, on a related note, it reminded me of many of the reasons why employers would be lucky to hire any Scripps graduate.

The article lists influential women who went to women’s schools (high school or college) such as Hillary Clinton, Gloria Steinem, Meryl Streep, Martha Stewart, Katharine Hepburn, Julia Child, and Lady Gaga.

If that list alone isn’t enough to feel some female pride, read the article. Take a deep breath and appreciate the unique skills that Scripps instills in its students, skills that these strong women have used to their advantage, skills that we will be able to use to ours for the rest of our careers – skills that are applicable whether we’re the next Secretary of State or the next pop star sensation.

Just another reason I’m glad I chose Scripps. I think this one might even rank above the fresh baked cookies.

One thought on “Appreciating Women’s Colleges (Women’s History Month)

1. Spot on with this write-up, I honestly think this website needs a great deal more attention. I’ll probably be back again to see more, thanks for the information!