The End of my First Year

As I’ve been bombarded with papers and finals throughout this week, I keep saying, “This is the most stressful week of my entire life.” It comes partly as a joke, partly as a natural reaction to all the work I have. But when I really think about that statement, I realize it’s just an emotional reaction. There have been plenty weeks throughout my life that I’ve been incredibly stressed; probably even more so than I am now. As I wade through the huge amount of work I have, I can’t help by think of some advice that my mom gave me in high school: “You always get it done.” And I always do; I rarely turn in things late. I feel incredibly grateful to have people who remind me of my own capabilities in my life.

The end of my freshman year has brought on not only feelings of stress, but also feelings of how lucky I am to be that stressed. I feel incredibly lucky to be in classes that challenge me, that have forced me to grow intellectually and emotionally. I have changed more in my first year at Scripps than I did all four years of high school, and I’ve changed so much for the better. Being in an environment where passionate, open-minded people surround me has made me much more confident in myself, and get a better idea of who I want to be as a person.

It wasn’t really until the end of this year that I was able to realize how Scripps has instilled a newfound confidence in me, which has made me so radically different from the person I was in high school. Through both my classes and the people I’ve met, I’ve been able to feel accepted and comfortable enough to grow into the type of person I want to be. I have a more profound sense than ever before that everything is going to be okay, and that I’m going to become a type of person that I’ll like. Without the confidence that Scripps instilled in me, I would have never been able to get the job this summer that I know I’ll love doing. While I still have a long way to go, I know that Scripps has put me on the path towards getting where I want to be.