At a Glance: Seniors

Alison Zenel

Hometown: Lake Oswego, OR but my family moved to South Dakota a year and a half ago!

Major: Organismal Biology

Plans for next year? I’m going to be a Peace Corps volunteer in Africa (don’t know what country yet). I’ll be a secondary school science teacher.

Favorite class at Scripps: My favorite class at Scripps was Introduction to West African Dance. It was a completely new experience for me. Not only was it incredibly fun and challenging, but it gave me confidence.

Favorite Motley drink? An extra hot almond milk chai, with foam!

What is one thing every Scripps student should do before they graduate? Study abroad! Even if you just go in the summer. It will change your life.

If you won one million dollars, what would be the first thing you’d do? Buy a motorcycle for my host father from Kenya. He lives in a rural vil­lage and hikes up a steep, steep path for an hour every day to work. He would always talk to me about how he dreams that one day he’ll have a motorcycle so he can sleep later in the morning, and get home to his family earlier in the evening.

What was your favorite part of the all-women college experience? The sense of community, female empowerment, and the great place that is the Motley. The many events we have had such as the recent Viva la Vulva and the Vagina Monologues.

Alana MacWhorter

Hometown: Bainbridge Island, WA

Major: Environmental Analysis with a focus in Environ­mental Design

Favorite memory of Scripps: Performing in the Vagina Monologues!

What is one thing Scripps has taught you? Own your brilliance, just do your “thang,” and live your life with an open mind ready to be thrown a curve ball.

What is one thing every Scripps student should do before graduating? Build a personal connection with your favorite professor(s)/mentor(s) on campus and enjoy the sun as much as humanly possible!

Who was someone in the Scripps community who made the most impact on you? Professor Perez de Mendiola and Head of Grounds Lola Trafecanty

Favorite part of the all-women college experience? Learning to greater love and appreciate my friendships with the awe inspiring women in my life.

Favorite spot on campus: Tie between Seal Court, Mar­garet Fowler Garden and the deck above the pool.

What will you miss most? An array of many differ­ent moments with loved ones: drinking wine, basking in the sun, laughing in Seal Court, embracing in the Motley, using words like hegemony/white capitalist patriarchy/decolonizing your mind in everyday conver­sations, dancing in a room with way too many beauti­ful women, and taking in deep breaths of the blend of gardenia, orange blossoms, and roses..

Karli Orr

Hometown: Kirkland, WA/Southlake, TX

Major: Math with a Hispanic Studies minor

What is one thing every Scripps student should do before graduation? Eat a Patty’s burrito. With a margarita.

Who was someone in the Scripps community who made the most impact on you? Professor Ou, because he showed me that you can be successful and happy and juggle ten million things at once.

Favorite spot on campus: The stretching porch at the field house.

What will you miss most? Having my friends two seconds away from me at any given moment.

Jillian Gramling

Hometown: St. Paul, MN

Major: Dual in Anthropology and Dance

Favorite class at Scripps: Core I because I loved that by the end of the class, we had all read so many great works that I truly think a college student should have read by the time they graduate.

What is one thing Scripps has taught you? One of all of our greatest assets is that we are women, and we have the unique and valuable experiences of be­ing women. Because of this, we will go out into the world knowing that in order to succeed we do not need to try to be like men. We can leave here being proud to be women pursuing our dreams.

If you won one million dollars, what would be the first thing you’d do? Buy front row season tickets to the Minnesota Twins

Sarah Derry

Hometown: Seattle area

Major: Economics

One thing you want to do before you die: Besides live a long life? Live in another country besides America or the UK.

Favorite memory of Scripps: Playing games with my friends until early hours of the morning when everything becomes funny and the “telephone Pictionary” illustra­tions become increasingly detailed. Or any of the times when I came to the Motley and found all my friends. Or the times when every lunch conversation became a dis­course on feminism. Or meeting up with other Scrippsies while we were abroad.

What is one thing Scripps has taught you? Not to be afraid to assert myself.

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email