Editor’s Letter, Vol. 3 Issue 1

Dear readers,

This semester [in]Visible Magazine has undergone its first transition of leadership, from the founders of the magazine to a new group of editors who manage the writers, copy editing, designers, and art staff. This transition has been in process since last spring, when the previous editor-in-chief asked [in]Visible contributors if anyone would be interested in taking over a leadership role in the magazine.

The change of leadership has enabled [in]Visible to become more of a true Scripps College magazine by reaping the benefits of many students’ contributions over the years, rather than staying with the same students who originally created it. Often, the other editors and I have struggled, wondering when to stick with the founders’ original ideas, and when we should expand or change something to add a bit of ourselves to the publication.

Of course, we have also struggled simply because of the great weight on our shoulders to carry on the excellence of the past issues. I am proud to announce that last semester’s issue was submitted to the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, only to come out a Gold Medalist in its 2010 Annual Critique, which looks at student publications across the nation.

In many ways, the contents of this fourth issue of [in]Visible demonstrate a continuation of this high-quality work, combined with change. We deliberately set a focus of the “invisible” aspects of life that affect self-image just as much as the physical body. Inside, you will find articles relating to technology, such as the survey about first impressions via Facebook, and a different perspective on making friends online. Explore through our pages the way virginity can affect self-image, the potential food has for a meaningful relationship, and be inspired by our staff’s current hero, Native American film maker Alanis Obamsawan. The magazine also includes more guest articles, one written by a Pitzer student inspired by our mission, and another about the Humanities Institute Seminar class, written by Professor of Art T. Kim-Trang Tran.

This semester, the [in]Visible editors and I, partnered with Health Education Outreach (HEO), were excited to put together a community event to spread our message to even more people, in a way that can reach out to those unable to obtain a copy of the magazine. On November 19, we hosted a tie-dye event, inviting students from all five Claremont Colleges to design their own tie-dye t-shirts, eat free food, and learn more about enhancing body- and self image.

There are two major changes that the managing team is hoping to bring about next semester: solidifying our presence on Scripps’ campus, and building up our online presence via our website. We encourage everyone to consider contributing to the magazine next semester—we are always looking for writers, designers, copy editors, artists, public relations staff, and an experienced webmaster. At the moment of writing, the [in]Visible website still needs more work, but I encourage everyone to keep their eye on it as it develops and becomes a way for the community to be more involved in the publication. Check the site out at http://invisible.scrippscollege.edu. We want [in]Visible to start conversations on campus and encourage new thoughts.

The experience leading the magazine has been challenging yet rewarding, and I’m sure I can speak for the whole managing team when I say we present you this fourth issue of [in]Visible with pride. Happy reading!

Ann Mayhew

Editor-in-Chief

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

Comments are closed.