Editor’s Letter, Vol. 3 Issue 2

Dear readers,

Yet another school year has gone by, and [in]Visible is yet another year older!

At the time of writing, however, much of this semester still lies ahead, and with it, many new and exciting things for this magazine. We were lucky enough to have greater resources available to us this semester, enabling us to spread our mission in ways beyond the publication. [in]Visible participated in the Body Love event on March 4, where we joined event-goers in decorating outlines of different female bodies. We also proudly had a face-painting table at the A-Team’s annual carnival on April 22. Our outreach event this semester was a karaoke event—what better and more fun way to celebrate Scripps self-confidence than belting some of your favorite tunes?

You may notice that the magazine itself has undergone a little change. This semester, I brought forth the idea of establishing consistent sections in the magazines, an idea which was greeted with much enthusiasm. Unless next year’s team of editors decides to change it yet again, you can expect a Well-Being section, focusing on practical advice for physical and mental health; a Pop Culture section, featuring a review of a recent movie, book, or album that applies to body image; an Around Campus section, featuring an event on Scripps from the semester; a Current Events section; and then the usual surveys, perspectives, variety of feature articles, interviews, and At a Glance. I am very excited about this new set-up, hoping it will inspire writers to think outside of their comfort zone when it comes to article brainstorming, guaranteeing a variety of informative articles for every reader.

[in]Visible has successfully undergone its first year under new leadership, and it has been a growing experience for all: me, the other 2010-2011 editors, and the magazine itself. It’s been rewarding to see the influential and engaging ways [in]Visible has grown to truly become an essential part of the Scripps community, through events and the development of the website (https://community.scrippscollege.edu/invisible/)

A final note to readers—we hope to start a “letters to the editors” section, where you can email in responses to the magazine that we can choose from and include in our next semester’s issue. Contact us with any likes or dislikes regarding this issue at [email protected], and please include “Letter to Editor” in the subject line! We will need all submissions by the end of September 2011 for them to be considered for publication.

With the end of the year drawing to a close, I hand off the magazine (with confidence!) to a new generation of Scrippsies. I wish them luck, and I wish you well, Scripps College community and [in]Visible readers.

Happy reading (and happy summer)!

Ann Mayhew

Editor-in-Chief

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

Comments are closed.