The PLEN Women in Public Policy seminar was a great opportunity for me to learn more about careers in public policy and network with professionals in the field. It was impactful to hear from women working on Capitol Hill, in the nonprofit sector, and in other areas; this wide variety helped me understand the many paths that are possible within the world of public policy. It was exciting to see how many professionals worked in multiple sectors throughout their career.

I was particularly interested in hearing from those who work in the nonprofit sector doing advocacy work to advance policy change. Before the conference, I hadn’t realized how many ways one could be involved with policymaking beyond working on Capitol Hill. The PLEN Seminar helped me gain a deeper understanding of what it looks like to pursue a career in public policy and gave me many of the skills necessary to achieve this goal.

One of my largest takeaways from the conference was an understanding of how to network effectively in the political world. Our workshop on networking was the first session of the conference and it did a great job setting us up to succeed throughout the week. Our speaker explained, in detail, how to go about requesting informational interviews, make connections, and utilize those connections to help expand one’s network and secure jobs or internships. Before this session, networking had always seemed daunting and obscure; the lessons I learned through the seminar allowed me to feel confident in this important area.

The PLEN Seminar in Public Policy was an empowering experience that exposed me to a variety of career options that I was previously unaware of. Throughout the week, I learned from speakers and participated in workshops that helped me develop new skills, form meaningful connections, and grow as a leader and advocate.