As I reflect on my attendance at the PLEN Women in Public Policy seminar in
Washington, D.C. in January 2023, I’m thankful to Scripps College for providing me with this opportunity. During this seminar, we were introduced to a plethora of l experts in various public policy and policyadjacent fields. Some of the most impactful programs included Networking 101 with Ally Perleoni, breakout sessions with 3 different industries (I was placed in the Private Sector breakout room, but there was also an Advocacy & NonProfit breakout room, and a Government breakout room), and multiple expert panels. All of PLENs sessions provided invaluable information about how to work on Capitol Hill and other potential paths with policy in Washington, D.C.

I was particularly interested in the private sector speakers and seminars, as I am interested in working in the think tank research sector after graduation. Before the conference, I felt lost as to how I could get my foot into the door of this world or what a job in this sector really meant. During the PLEN seminar, I was able to network with important speakers and ask personalized questions about their career paths. By having returning speakers for multiple sessions, I was able to create personal and meaningful connections with leaders in the field.

One of my biggest takeaways from the PLEN Public Policy seminar is the confidence that I have all the skills necessary, and am prepared to work in such a daunting field. Not only was I inspired by the experienced panelists PLEN brought in, but also by my peers who attended this conference alongside me. Getting to talk to and learning more about their unique career goals and experiences thus far made me feel less alone as I look forward to my graduation from Scripps College in the spring.

Overall, the PLEN Women in Public Policy Trek has been one of the most useful things
I’ve done for my career thus far. PLEN not only provided me with an abundance of knowledge, but also assisted with honing the interpersonal skills required to succeed in the field of public policy.