Well-Intended Sexism?

I recently came across “Enigma,” a spoken word piece by Dave Anders-Richards that has been getting widespread praise from the community because it protests the sexual objectification of women. Although his thoughts are not the most profound, I agree with his general message until about two minutes in, when he addresses his male peers by saying “Have you forgotten your place as gentlemen and wooers, as lovers and providers, as protectors and as partners, as only half of this species?”

This question greatly troubles me, for it implies that Anders-Richards’s solution to the sexual objectification of women is simply a different type of objectification, one where females are seen as defenseless things to woo, care for, and protect. Neither the problem Anders-Richards points out nor his implied solution to that problem bestow any genuine respect on women. In order to solve the problem of female objectification, women and men need to be seen and treated as true equals.

Emily Audet

Staff Blogger Scr ’17                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply