Editor’s Letter, Vol. 2 Issue 2

When [in]Visible produced its first publication in the spring of last year, we had no idea what its future would be. Would it live to see another pub­lication? How would it improve as a magazine and an organization? Would Scripps students read it?

With a year’s hindsight, I can certainly answer these questions. For one thing, the maga­zine has indeed improved. With experience under our belts, we now produce magazines with more efficiency and professionalism than ever before. Since our first publication, we have produced two more issues and plan to continue printing next year. And yes, Scripps women have been reading the magazine. Perhaps not as many as we would like (wouldn’t it be nice for every Scripps student to get a free copy?), but considering our limited funds, I am happy to hear that so many people have read our issues, and even happier to hear that they have been discussing them.

This semester’s issue continues our focus on the invisible qualities that define us as people. In an interview with Scripps senior Erica Owen, we learn how her identification as a Christian influ­ences her perception of self; Scripps junior Jos Greene explains how his transgender identifica­tion shapes his experience at Scripps; and Career Planning and Resources staff member Gretchen Maldonado opens up about how pregnancy and motherhood have changed her attitudes about her body. Besides these unique experiences, we pres­ent perspectives that encourage discussion about body-image issues, such as “fat talk,” that we face as students.

On its third publication, [in]Visible once again faces uncertainty: what is going to happen next year? As an organization comprised of a major­ity of sophomores, we now face the expected, but nonetheless com­plicated, loss of members to study abroad next year. With many of our members embarking on adventures abroad next year, we’ll have to ad­just to significant changes in roster. Just as an example, four of our six sophomore officers (including me!) plan to study abroad.

With the approach of this dramatic change, I am once again uncertain about the future of [in]Visible. At the same time, I am incredibly excited. As we pass leadership on to a new staff, I am eager to see where the magazine goes next. The magazine is func­tioning more solidly than ever, and I believe this strength will carry through despite the staff changes next year. What’s more, having new leadership will give [in]Visible the opportunity to explore new thematic and organizational direc­tions. As a new publication, explo­ration and diversification is just what we need!

Here’s the shameless plug: if you are interested in helping improve student self-image, love to write, photograph, draw, design, or edit, we’d love to have you get involved with the magazine next year. Even if you just have a comment or question about the topics covered in this issue, please contact us at [email protected]. After all, it is our mission to encourage a discussion about self-image on campus, and most good discussions go two ways…

Thanks for two years of positivity and inquiry. I hope that you have all learned as much as I have about what it means to see the invisible, and I am greatly look­ing forward to future publications!

Signing off,
Becca Marion
Editor-in-chief

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply