Scrippsie Spotlight: Rochelle Bailis (2009)

Welcome to this week’s Scrippsie Spotlight with Rochelle Bailis, an English Major turned Tech/Startup Writer and Content Producer (read on to find out why she got to pet a tiger!)

SCRIPPS PROFESSIONALS NETWORK: So how did an English Major end up falling into the startup world?

ROCHELLE BAILIS: First of all, as someone with a liberal arts degree, let me confirm your biggest fear: it’s unfortunately true that unless you have a desirable degree or a personal connection, most companies won’t hire you without at least some experience. And yet because nobody will hire you, it’s impossible to get said experience—Catch 22, anyone?

I spent awhile teaching in Thailand before searching for a job in the US, but even when I returned I was still unsure the direction I wanted to take my career, but I knew I wanted it to be involved in something exciting, creative and cutting-edge. I had a really hard time finding a job, so I moved back in with my dad and started interning for free at several; different companies as a miscellaneous content/communications/marketing/blogging intern. Continue reading Scrippsie Spotlight: Rochelle Bailis (2009)

Sage Tank: 4th Workshop

FACEBOOK EVENT

Wednesday, April 16 will be our fourth and a half (of five) workshop to prepare you for Sage Tank. The Tech: In today’s entrepreneurial climate, technology startups have become increasingly common. Successful entrepreneurs now (have to) leverage technology in order to achieve their current and future goals. Two of our speakers (both Pomona alumni) from last week’s workshop will be returning :

1. Zach Risher PO’10 is currently the CTO at RideApart Media but was the founder of and general partner at Zanobo Partners, co-founder of WagonChain, associate at The Starkenburg Group, and an analyst at Morgan Stanley.

2. Nolan Zandi PO’10 is currently the COO at RideApart Media but was also the founder of and managing partner at Zanobo, an associate at The Starkenburg Group, and an analyst at the ACA Compliance Group.
CS majors or enthusiasts are especially welcome!!

5C Hackweek

FACEBOOK EVENT

April 7-April 10

Hack Week is a week-long tutorial on how to program for the web, designed for both students with little to no prior coding experience, as well as those who have more experience. We will have student teachers and mentors to help every step of the way so you will be ready to make something awesome at the 5C Hackathon!

The tutorials will be held from 7-9PM on April 7-10, the week leading up to the 5C Hackathon on Friday. While we strongly encourage students to attend all four sessions, we understand that you may have other commitments. We will provide starter code at the beginning of each night to catch you up on anything you might have missed. Continue reading 5C Hackweek

Entrepreneurship & Leadership Luncheon with Dave Capper

Monday, April 7at 12:00pm – 1:00pm in PDT

The first event of the second annual Entrepreneurship Week!

This talk will feature inventor Dave Capper, whose innovations include HitClips, Tooth Tunes, and VideoNow. Mr. Capper is praised by his colleagues as a “marketing machine” and “genius when it comes to conceptualizing a project and getting it made.”

The talk will include Mr. Capper’s personal story and Q&A.

Scrippsie Spotlight: Annie Dreshfield (2013)

Are you good with people? Interested in marketing?  Love social media?  Then you’ll love our Spotlight on Annie Dreshfield, a Scrippsie whose hybrid job includes PR, social media, and community management at Nextdoor.com, the ‘private social network for your neighborhood’!

0bdd392

SCRIPPS PROFESSIONALS NETWORK: So what was your life at Scripps like?

ANNIE: I went to Scripps partially because I fell in love with the campus the first time I ever saw it (while visiting my brother for his first Parent’s Weekend at CMC), but also because I knew I could receive the education I wanted. I knew I was going to study writing and even though that would require self-designing a major, I realized that I was excited by the chance to design my own major. When I sat down to talk to my advisor, Kimberly Drake, early my first year, she asked me about any other topics I’d be interested in studying, and I chose media studies. I’d obviously grown up with the internet, but I’d also grown up playing video games and participating in online fan fiction communities. I wanted to somehow work that into my education and possibly a job after college. I ended up self-designing a major called Creative Writing for Contemporary Media, which was basically a writing major fused with media studies, specifically new media and digital media theory.

Self-designing a major completely shaped my education and time at Scripps, and I couldn’t be more thankful that I was not only allowed, but encouraged to take part in determining my own education. I ended up writing my thesis on online fan fiction communities, which was surreal – if I’d told my younger self that I would be penning a 100+ page research paper on my hobby in college, I probably wouldn’t have believed it!

Continue reading Scrippsie Spotlight: Annie Dreshfield (2013)