There is No Dr. McSteamy

Shadow: to follow and observe someone closely and typically secretly. Synonyms: follow, trail, track, stalk, pursue, hunt.

Shadowing a profession in the career field is a little different than the dictionary definition of the verb “to shadow”. When I shadowed a neurologist this summer, I did observe a day in the life of a practicing physician. However, my version of shadowing was not secretive and I am almost positive that I was not tracking, stalking, pursuing, or hunting the doctor that permitted me to observe his daily routine.

Since I was a kindergartner I wanted to be a doctor. For the longest time I had no idea what that even meant. Little did little Erin know that she was setting the bar pretty darn high. But as I grew older this childhood dream became an actual possibility. I thought, “Hey I like science! I could become a doctor.” I started babysitting and got CPR certified, and I found a love for the sciences. I continued to entertain the idea that one day I could become a doctor.

As we all know, getting an M.D. is a huge process and before I committed to taking the first step down the long educational pathway, I wanted to see if I could see myself practicing medicine. On a sunny morning this July, I woke up and put on my best professional attire. My stomach felt anxious as I drove to the neighborhood hospital. After filling out confidentiality paperwork, we were ready to start the day.

Six hours later I was exhausted and overstimulated. Each moment of the day was filled with appointments and the cases ranged from early onset Alzheimer’s to Congenital Analgesia. After each patient, the doctor would go into his office and voice record his interpretations of the symptoms and the next steps that should be taken. Immediately after recording he was off to see the next patient.

The day taught me about the not-so-glamorous side to medicine; unfortunately it is no episode of Grey’s Anatomy (Where is my Mr. McSteamy?!).

Eric Dane who plays Dr. Mark "McSteamy" Sloan from Grey's Anatomy.  Photo courtesy of starpulse.com

Eric Dane who plays Dr. Mark “McSteamy” Sloan from Grey’s Anatomy. Photo courtesy of starpulse.com

However, I was able to witness the interactions between the doctor and a wide sampling of the population. He was able to help, or at least provide guidance to each suffering patient. As a very social being, I know I would enjoy working directly with people, and although I was tired after the long day, I imagined myself in the same career in the future–and truly enjoying my job. I am now studying science as an undergraduate and feel more confident with my pre-medicine ambitions.

Internships, jobs, and various applications want to know if you have shadowed a professional in your intended field. They like to see a student take initiative and demonstrate interest. After my experience, I now know how crucial is it to shadow.

Get connected with nearby professionals and learn if your interests inside the classroom match the corresponding career outside. It is your future: go and get it.