I Am Sam

That’s right folks, this week I’ll be discussing one of the high points in the career of totally relevant actor Sean Penn.

"look how totally relevant I am"

“look how totally relevant I am”

I’m totally kidding (shocking I know) but I needed a pop culture-y title and this week has destroyed the part of my brain that’s up to date on what’s “hep”

it's this right? this is what the kids are into these days?

it’s this right? this is what the kids are into these days?

Anyway, the real reason I’m pulling up all these icons of masculinity is to segway into the main point of this post (god i wish that were true, they’re actually here because my brain is super weird about word association and terrible at coming up with blog post concepts). I am actually going to talk about masculinity though, and to do that I’m bringing up this bad boy from 2013.

no, not this bad boy

no, not this bad boy

You’ve probably seen it a million times in a million variations, but basically, our male friend Kim The Blogger comes to the conclusion that he’s not getting interviews to jobs he’s overqualified for because, horror of horrors, employers think he’s a woman.

Okay that sounded kinda mean, I’ve actually got absolutely nothing against Kim.

Kim-possible lilkim ss-130213-kim-jong-un-tease.photoblog900 webconflead529f-1-web

It turns out that I actually have basically nothing against a lot of Kims, but in this instance I do mean our science-minded male blogger who came up against the ugly reality of gender discrimination. (I should have more things against Kim Jong Un than I do. I’m sorry)

I guess the reason that this blog post, and the countless Buzzfeed articles about it that added more drama and .gifs, is so important to me is because this is information that I could use to my advantage. Sam is a name I go by on a regular basis, and definitely less of a lie than saying I’m fluent in Spanish. Ya know, since this probably shouldn’t count.

It’s hard to want to play fair in a job market that clearly doesn’t. For the time being I don’t have a reason to doctor my resume in a gender neutral direction, but I can’t deny that it’ll be tempting later on, like, when I’m actually applying for jobs. The problem is that I have zero problems with my gender and don’t want to change it.

But as far as actual gender identity issues go I’m so so so lucky/privileged to physically be the gender I identify with, so it pisses me off that I might be more successful if I ignore that part of who I am. In such a competitive job market do I not owe it to myself to take every advantage?

should i sell out to the patriarchy? what a classic dilemna

thank god for stock photos honestly

Just to clarify I’m not planning on changing my resume to pretend I’m a dude. If I were going to pretend to be a dude you would know. 

does the fact that my male counterpart looks like Justin Bieber mean anything? god i hope not

artists rendition of me as your new bae

I know what you’re all thinking. “But Sam! Why does your interpretation of dude-you look like Justin Bieber? How do I remain myself in a male dominated workplace? How did you even get this job? You clearly know nothing about Careers, Planning or Resources. Why is this the second time that Justin Bieber has appeared in this blog post?”

I wish I knew sweetheart, I really really do.