Enjoy Little Victories

These first three weeks of school have felt more like 3 months for me. My work is ramping up (mmm, double theses), scheduling remains a juggling game (how many “when2meet” links have you submitted thus far?), and just when one big task gets completed, the list grows. I tend to neglect or compromise some aspect of my life depending on the priority or timeline of something else. And unfortunately  some of the most basic things are the ones that get compromised: sleeping, eating, being active (and I don’t mean “active” as in 15+ hour days of meetings and class with few breaks after getting four hours of sleep and then repeating this cycle).

As of this past week, I have successfully turned in the Watson proposal and Peace Corps application! Right now, I kind of feel something like this about pursuing international opportunities after graduating. It’s been a huge relief (I’ll be celebrating on September 25th for my 22nd birthday), but there’s always something else that stresses me out. I’ve been remembering how I manage my stress and how important it is to give myself alone time.

Finding what works for you is very personal and depends on many different factors. Here are some general suggestions that I hope help in managing stress and incorporating self-care into a busy schedule.

1. Enjoy little victories.

Did you participate and really enjoy class discussion? Did you figure out a homework problem that had been stumping you? Did a meeting get cancelled or did class get out just a bit earlier giving you some breathing time you thought you wouldn’t have? Was there no line in the dining hall when you went to get a meal?

It is easy to get overwhelmed with the big picture and big questions, but taking in small moments throughout the day can help manage those thoughts.

1. Pick your battles and set your limits.

We all want to be engaged and successful with what we are involved with on campus, but sometimes I know I need to realize that I should not commit to everything, especially if I am not doing it for the right reasons. Investment in activities should be growing experiences and the work put towards them should hopefully manifest in some way! While Scripps students do it all, sometimes we need to recognize that we don’t have to do it all.

1. Make time for things you look forward to.

This is kind of like enjoying little victories. These things can be really small, because hopefully they shouldn’t be another source of planning induced stress. I personally LOVE breakfast. So when I can, I start weekdays with solo breakfast, preferably seated somewhere nice outside like Seal Court. Whether it’s literally stopping to smell the roses by the Garden or listening to a favorite podcast between classes, Tea on Wednesdays, it usually helps when there are things to look forward to sprinkled throughout the day.

1. Treat yourself.

Popularized by Parks and Rec, this suggestion works wonders in moderation. After turning the Watson in, I treated myself to a caramel latte from the Motley. After my junior recital this past April, I spent at least 30 minutes at the pool every day for the following week.  Even after a long, productive, completed day, lying on to your bed can be a great treat yourself.

What have you found helpful for managing your stress? Do you like more alone time or do you feel reenergized are quality time with friends? Whatever it is, I hope it makes you feel like this and ready for what’s next!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *