Trusting Your Gut

Hello from Marin County! It feels so amazingly nice to be home for break. With midterm chaos finally over and the final stretch just ahead, I believe we all desperately need Thanksgiving break. Not only is it a great time to take a few days off from school work, but it also is a great time to spend time with the family and indulge in traditions. For my family, the most important part of Thanksgiving has always been spending time with each other and our closest friends. Except for my father, mother, and I (and our dog), all my family lives on the east coast. For this reason, I have come to consider our close family friends as a part of my family. For the past couple of years we have even hosted large Thanksgiving dinners for about twenty people. Even more, this year I have been assigned the incredibly fun (and stressful) task of cooking the dinner. This means that I was allowed to create the whole menu, assign people tasks, and now on Wednesday I will begin to cook. 

I have always wanted to have a large family when I am older. As an only child, I want the complete opposite for my kids– I have always wanted five children. I want Thanksgiving to be massive with both family friends and my actual family. I think this year with me cooking will be the start of my transition into this future tradition of Thanksgiving at my house (I am a very hopeful and optimistic person, hehe). Being a mother and having an amazing career are two of my main goals for the future, and I know I will cherish my time away from work then just as much as I do now. 

My love for all things creative, publishing/editing related, and ‘motherhood informative’ immediately drew me to Mommikin, a website/blog founded by a Scripps alum. A few weeks ago while internship hunting, I came across the ad on Claremont Connect and knew it was exactly what I wanted to do over Christmas break. They were asking for an editorial intern that would interview women in order to discover how they balance creativity with motherhood and how they intertwine the two within their home. Furthermore, I would then write these interviews for their blog…Sounds a bit like what I do now, right? 😉 So, I sent the alumna my resume and cover letter, scheduled an interview, and am happy to announce that I will be working for them starting over winter break! 

I know, I know, I say it all the time, but I am going to repeat myself (I also won’t lie to you and say for the last time): experience is so important

I am so excited to join the Mommikin team, not only for the incredible work experience (editing! I get to proofread and copy edit! ahh! Networking! Meeting incredible women with incredible positions! ahh!), but also for all the motherhood experience. Who says I can’t get a head start on that career path, too? I will learn from these women valuable skills about how I, as a potential author, eager baker, and dedicated singer, can use these creative skills within my home to teach my children and to better connect with them. I think that experience is just as important as any, wouldn’t you agree? 

I saw Mommikin’s ad on Claremont Connect and just went for it. I saw that I had a lot of experience in areas they needed an intern for, and none in other areas. All I was sure of at the time was that I knew I would learn from this job if I were given the opportunity to, and so I trusted my gut and went for it. And it worked out for the best 🙂