How to Avoid Getting Sick in College and the Workplace

As I head into week three of my sophomore year it seems that I have already found myself succumbing to the magical powers of NyQuil and lozenges. How did I get here? I used to be the one with immaculate attendance who never got ill. The sad reality is that it is way too easy to get sick in college. The dorm rooms and communal areas seem to be a breeding ground for the strep, flu, and everything in between. To make matters worse, it is impossible to get into the student health center in a timely fashion.  Whether it’s your roommate, your partner, or a co-worker, someone around you is bound to be sick.

Becoming an “adult,” or whatever we call this weird stage of our lives, is rough. We are all just figuring it out as we go along.  One of the biggest changes I have seen in this transition is the level of forgiveness about being sick. If you missed a few days of high-school, it was not the end of the world. This more lenient environment allowed me to even take my fair share of mental-health days throughout the year. But in college, much like the real world, professors are not as forgiving about missing classes and making up work. Even if you have a doctor’s note, the world keeps moving forward and you still are responsible for the material that you missed.

As a result, I constantly try to avoid becoming ill at all costs. I know that taking sick-days from school, work, and internships are usually more detrimental than beneficial.

Here are some of my favorite pro-tips that I use in order to avoid getting sick throughout the year:

1. Washing hands.

As juvenile as this sounds, I think that everyone needs this simple little reminder. I do not know if people think that it’s okay to break this childhood rule now that we are older, but washing hands is a must. Too often I see grown individuals leaving the bathroom without washing. It does not matter how clean you are when you go. If you flush the toilet, (and I seriously hope that you do) you are touching something that everyone else before you has also touched. How do you know that they didn’t leave the germs that they coughed into their hand all day or some other unmentionable substances on the handle?

2. You get in what you put out.

I find this little mantra to be true in every realm of life. As it pertains to sickness, I focus this mindset on liquids, diet, and exercise.

Say “yes” to putting hydrating fluids into your system and “no” to coffee and alcohol. Both of these contain diuretics that will dehydrate you and actually work against your efforts to fight off infection.

Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet is another essential factor to maintaining wellness.

Although taking multi-vitamins and other supplements are helpful, they are intended to complement a balanced diet, not single-handedly provide your necessary nutrients. Fill your plate with fresh greens, antioxidants, and lean proteins whenever you can! You will start to notice that when you eat better, you feel better.

My Cross-Country coach used to tell me “the only workout you regret is the one that you skip.” I have always found this to be true. Not only does exercising release endorphins and increase general levels of happiness, but it also promotes better sleep and longevity. When exercising, remember to clean your gym equipment. You might be gracious about wiping down your mat and machine when you are done, but did the person before you do the same? Before grabbing those weights, they might have been coughing into their hands throughout the day. Or worse, they might be one of the individuals who doesn’t wash their hands after using the bathroom. Getting into the habit of wiping these down before and after exercising will save your immune system in the long run.

3. Sleep

With no parents enforcing a curfew or bedtime every evening, the world is your oyster. Although the possibilities of the late-night hours are endless, there is no denying that natural call to sleep. I know that getting to bed a little earlier might seem like a pain, but it is worth it in the long run. Life is better when you can make the decision to choose sleep, rather than when all of your work and activities have to take the hit from being too sick to participate

4. Keep a clean space.

Maintaining a clean environment will keep you feeling fresh. You can do this by washing your sheets every one to two weeks and wiping down communal surfaces. Don’t forget about cleaning items such as your keyboard, water-bottles, and doorknobs. I try to do this weekly.

For better air quality, get outside. There are many days during the weekend where dinner-time rolls around and I realize that I have spent the entire day at my desk. If you can’t get out very often, try to work with the window open. The circulation of air from the outside will let the room breathe, so to speak.

5. Treatment

If, despite your best efforts, sickness thrusts itself upon you, try to attack the oncoming sickness head-on. The second that I begin to feel the symptoms, I begin chugging water, tea, and Emergen-C like it’s my job.

My main suggestion here is to try to have medications and necessities on-hand at all times. The last thing that you are going to want to do when you are sick is make the daunting trek to the local pharmacy or health center.

Ultimately, taking precautionary tips will maximize your wellness. You might be teased for being a germ-o-phobe, but you will be envied when you stay healthy and happy throughout the year. Adopting these habits now will facilitate your ability to avoid getting sick in college and in the professional world.

If you have any tips or tricks for fighting off sickness, we would love to hear them in the comments section.