Spring Break Success

Remember how a month or so ago I wrote about how I can never hit that send button? Well today I did it. I did it four times. And it’s already paid off – within a few hours I had received a response from an internship coordinator at a nonprofit that focuses on international civil rights. She read my resume and was excited to set up an interview as soon as possible. In fact, I’m going to talk to her next week.

Someone remind me why I could never send out applications? I get such a good feeling from knowing my name – and my fabulous resume – is out there.

Last week I wrote about my goals for spring break. A refresher: I said I would follow up with two applications I already sent and that I would send three more. I have followed up with one of the two applications, sent out four new applications, and contacted a family friend in Washington, DC who kindly offered to put in a good word for me with some of his most influential friends. After calling one more congressional office, I will safely be able to say that I can cross everything off my spring break to-do list and reward myself (with an amazing pair of shoes that I recently saw online.)

Speaking of my family friend, I want to advise everyone reading to never underestimate the power of word of mouth. If my stories about talking to just two alumnae who then forwarded my resume to all of their friends (a few of whom later contacted me) aren’t enough, then consider this. I mentioned the nonprofit I applied to (the women’s rights one) to my mother, who brought it up at her office. A co-worker who used to live in Washington, DC knows a few people who work there and mentioned my name to them. Whether or not it helps me land the internship, someone who picks up my resume will recognize my name. That will give me an advantage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *