Ramblings from an ex-insomniac

All I had to do was click the little button that said, “CONFIRM” and my countdown to June 8 would begin.  Nervously, I stared at my screen for a good 20 minutes.  It was close to 5 am and perhaps sleep deprivation had gotten to me.  Thoughts and questions raced through my head.  What if I’m not ready by June?  Am I even thinking clearly at this point?  I took a deep breath, allowing my lungs to expand to their full potential.  Was I really doing this?  I let it out and simultaneously clicked the confirm button.  Phew!  It was all over.  The site loaded for what seemed like eternity.  What?  Another confirmation screen?  It was stressful enough to choose an LSAT location with no concrete summer plans.  Was it really necessary to make me reconsider what I had just done?

I slowly hovered my mouse over the submit button.  I closed my eyes.  Click. It was all over now.  Was this just a dream?

This was not a dream.  I officially enrolled to take the June LSAT.

Assignments rushed through my head.  How could I handle two research papers, exams, a policy brief, and a lit review?  And on top of that, the LSAT exam!  I knew exactly what I had to do.  I needed to master the art of juggling.  Not the kind of juggling of pins or fire torches, but juggling schoolwork, life, and the LSAT.  Was I in over my head?  No, I can do this.  Si se puede. I simply need to be at maximum efficiency for the next couple of weeks.

If I want to get through this, then I will need my sleep.  Goodbye to nights like this one – no more staying up late to read ESPN.com articles or fantasy baseball updates.  Farewell, 2010 Fantasy Baseball league.  What?  Clearly, I was delusional.  I could not give up fantasy baseball.  The insomnia had gotten to me; I would never make such a rash decision especially about baseball.  In retrospect, I was overreacting just a tiny bit.  But if you knew how much I love baseball, you would sympathize.  I compromised with myself: I would skip the first half of the season until June 8, 2010.

It’s now time to step up my game, and as with any game, I need a strategy of attack.

• I will refrain from all-nighters unless they are absolutely necessary.
  • I will refrain from wasting time on fantasy baseball.
  • I will only visit ESPN.com for research.
  • I will not visit Hulu.com until I am done with all of my finals and papers.
  • I will make the best of these next several weeks.

With my game plan in place, I should be able to finish everything I have set out to do.  Wish me luck!