A Mean Cup of Coffee

Preparation.  Determination.  Mental Toughness.

Sound like a pro athlete?  Being a strong job candidate and an athlete are much the same thing.   I can remember several interviews where my instinct was to cry in interviews.  Not because I was sad, but because I was frustrated.

You have to train for this type of stress.  Some ‘amusing’ questions I have fielded in interviews:

Answering the following with a firm, authortative style:

“Can you make a good cup of coffee?” “Do you have an attitude, young lady?” “You aren’t a vegetarian are you?”

Yep, you heard that right, interviewers ask these questions for one of two reasons: 1.  they are not the nicest people/do not believe in women in the workplace.  (OR MORE LIKELY) 2.  They want to see if you can take it with a smile.

It takes practice but here’s how I handled these ‘tough’ questions.  Some interviewers are smooth and easy into these topics, others rely on the element of surprise and spring it on you mid sentence.  So you gotta be ready.  Have you heard the song, “Help” by the Beatles?  Great song, but you need to be the opposite of that.  YOU can do this all on your own just keep yours wits about you!

VEGETARIAN: “I’m sorry, am I late?” I inquired triple checking my watch and confirming with the receptionist that I was indeed 12 minutes early.

“Come in”, the suited interviewer said exasperated tapping his foot loudly on the wooden floor.  There were two interviewers, the second was more sympathetic to my confusion, we shook hands easily.  Then Mr. Tapper whirled on me and stuck out his hand, I went to shake it and heard each of my fingers pop as the man squeezed my hands with such vigor.  First instinct: scream.  What I did: returned with a firm shake and waited for the man to give me my limp hand back and hope all fingers were still attached.  I sat down and Mr. Tapper looked me in the eye and said, “Are you a vegetarian?”  Wow.  Hmm.  I replied the truth.  “I prefer not to eat meat sir”.  He spent the next 10 minutes talking about the importance of meat in a diet and then got on with the interview.

Should I have lied?  Should I have told him I love meat?  In this circumstance I had to tell the truth.  After the fact I found out he had been ‘stress testing’ me to see if I would flip flop in my beliefs.  In this case standing strong was a good thing.

ATTITUDE: Speaking to two professionals, they readily admitted that they were not used to interviewing women for these positions.  Which could account for their question, “Do you have an attitude young lady?”  My response was a knee jerk reaction: “No sir, I don’t have an attitude, I have opinions though”.  Both leaned back in their chairs and then one leaned in close, “You have an attitude?” He repeated.  I locked eyes with him and said with conviction, “No sir”.  They liked this answer and yes, they wanted me back.  Though I didn’t follow up with this opportunity I am thrilled to be one of the first entry level women seriously considered for a position in their group.

What I learned from this: mean it!  Eye contact is essential.  You need to pay deference to these people, but they aren’t looking for wall flowers.

COFFEE: Finally: “Do you make a good cup of coffee?” This one is common.  It goes with the attitude question.  Are you able to do menial work and do it with a smile?

I don’t drink coffee.  Never had a cup in my life, and I don’t intend to start.  Personally, I don’t like the idea of ‘needing’ anything to get my day started.  Self-reliance is important to me.  But in interviews when someone asks me if I can make a great cup of coffee I reply: “I make a mean cup of coffee”.  I mean it.  I will try to make coffee and yes it will probably taste mean.

The point is this: don’t be afraid to be humble and stretch your scope of what you are willing to do.  If its a menial task, you can learn.  Obviously don’t do anything that compromising you, your ethics, morals, etc.  If this is a fancy coffee bar, don’t lie about your barista talents.  But in a corporate setting—you can learn to make coffee.

There you have it, you don’t need help, you only need  my family motto,

MTXE

MENTAL TOUGHNESS EXTRA EFFORT

Good Luck!