Keep Cool

Its over 100 degrees in my room, close to 115 outside.  I stare across the room, my arms crossed, looking my foe dead in the eye.  Pantyhose, my arch nemesis stares back, unflinching.  This is a good old fashioned standoff.  The pantyhose won and strode briskly to my interview, willing myself not to sweat.

I get to my interview site to find that the air conditioning is broken.   Talk about pressure, not only was I nervous, but I was also about to melt into a puddle.  Its moments like this I wonder why I am pursuing such a career.  I have sent off numerous applications, made calls to alums, recruiters, and networked across the country.

My momentary questioning is halted as I hear my name called.  I straighten up, make sure my palms aren’t too sweaty and stride into the interview.  It was challenging, as talking about accounting principles makes me sweat, and that doesn’t even factor in the heat.  But the interviewer was interesting and interested, not to mention he seemed genuinely happy to be speaking with me.

I left the interview feeling cool, inside at least.  All my questioning of my career choice was gone.  Momentary reflection and questioning is fine, its probably healthy.  But I know that all the hours, the suits, and the heat will be worth it.

And what if it isn’t? What if I get my ‘dream job’ and am miserable?  Well, call me short sighted, but I don’t think that way.  Call me an optimist, in an economist suit, but I don’t doubt myself.

The other day I was doing a mock interview and the interviewer asked me if I considered myself a risk taker. Risk?  That certainly wasn’t a word I would associate with myself and I told her so.  She explained to me that I might not consider myself a risk taker but others view me as such.   Now I was really confused, as I look both ways TWICE before crossing the street.  She went on to say that the things I have accomplished, the internships I received, the positions I hold at college would only be pursued by someone who wasn’t afraid to fail.

It took me some time to think about this and I came to my answer, I am a calculated risk taker.  I look at cost/benefits and probabilities of achieving and failing.  If I fail, will the outcome be X, can I live with that?  What’s my probability of failing?  Its a two prong question and we all have these decisions to make everyday.  As I get older, busier, I strive to remember to reach higher, take more opportunities, and not use the excuse, “I’m busy” or “I’m tired”.  I can sleep later.  But I may only get one chance to go for Y opportunity.

Advice to you all: don’t be afraid to reach for it.  You might surprise yourself.

Till next time, stay cool,

Pauline