Receiving Advice, Applying it to My Life

“Read a lot.”

“Write a lot.”

When approaching other writers, book critics, journalists, or like people with questions about what I can do now to help myself succeed in a similar career later, these two statements are the most commonly-given advice.

I actually feel very fortunate in the number of people I have been able to speak to so far in my quest to network and gather advice. One of my biggest assets has been the internet—I never thought of this when I first started my own personal blog, but if you mention another writer or blogger who you admire, sometimes they do come across that post. It has only happened to me a couple of times, but I was always thrilled to see such a comment, since taking the time to write a post about someone—quoting an article they wrote, etc.—always makes them something of a mini-hero in my mind.

Going to Scripps has been wonderful as far as getting career advice goes. A couple of weeks ago, I attended a talk by Lorin Stein, who is the editor of The Paris Review. Of course, the talk was not about how to one day have a job like his; rather it was about the history of The Paris Review and a little bit about reading in the electronic age we are in, but I loved it.

After the talk, I went up to the front of the room to buy my copy of the literary magazine, and I asked him if he had any advice for someone who wants to go into book criticism, or for someone who would want to work at a literary magazine, be an editor, etc. I got the usual answer: “Read a lot.” (I try!) and then he also mentioned that I should get an internship at such a place—“The Paris Review has internships…” (I checked—you must be at least a junior in college…)

I realized later that I read a blog post Lorin Stein wrote for the National Book Critics Circle’s blog, Critical Mass, over the summer and had even jotted down the titles of some of the books he had mentioned.

One piece of advice that sticks out in my head—that was not even given to me, but rather something I overheard a writer telling another Scripps students—I heard last year, at a Career Planning & Resources event. Sometime last spring semester, CP&R brought to campus three or four Scripps alumnae who are now writers in various ways: some journalists, a novelist, a nonfiction writer. Of course, I attended, and I loved it.

One student was not able to stay for the talk, so she was speaking with the women quickly before the event actually started. She asked one alumna, “What would you say is the number one thing you did in college that has helped you become a writer?”

The writer smiled. She replied, “Have as many experiences as possible.”

You can’t write if you have nothing to write about, or against which to base your ideas. I often think of this piece of advice, seeing as it kind of goes against the statement I hear the most: “Read as much as possible.” I would say the difference is the former is for those who want to become writers, while the latter is for those who want to write about or edit literature. However, most writers also tell wannabe-writers to read as much as possible, so I suppose one has to find a balance between the two.

I think back to that CP&R event, and that writer, often. Am I getting enough experiences? (It’s hard when you don’t have a lot of money or a mode of transportation.) Also, am I reading and writing enough?

Even if I grapple with the advice given, I value the few minutes given to speak with writers and editors; there is nothing I love more than picking the brain of my heroes, and my heroes are basically anyone who is successfully doing what I want to do with my life. (Especially Scripps alumnae!)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *