Death and Taxes

Still unable to believe I have a job I thought I could share a couple things:

1.  The unexpected parts of having a job

a.  Budgeting

b.  Background check

2.  Thanks to my Professors

1.  So I have a job.  And I am so pleased with the position (Consulting) and the location (New York City).  Now the formal contract comes with over 30 pages of information.  I had to sift through it with my Mom and Dad before signing the next two years of my away.

a.  The money is great, the benefits are great but there are a few confusing things.  I have about 12 health insurance options.  How do I know how much I need?  How do I know where to find a doctor?  I’m young and healthy, I don’t want to think I’ll ever get sick! That brings me to Vision? Dental?  Life Insurance?  WHAT?  I named my parents the beneficiaries, their response, “thanks but we have already invested more than that in you”.  Well at least I know they won’t toss me under a bus for my money.  Then there is the business of taxes.  I had NO idea about how much you have to pay in taxes each year.  Seriously, look up the brackets!  I created a budget, and I think I should be able to save a good percentage of my salary while paying for insurance, utilities, rent, food, and taxes.  Now I get to settle into the dog eat dog world of apartment hunting in Manhattan.

b.  Background check.  I have had one before for my internship but this questionnaire was pretty in depth.  I was surprised they didn’t ask me how often I floss (which isn’t as often as I should admittedly).  A word to the wise, do not over extend what you did on your resume because they WILL call everyone and anyone you have ever worked with.  Just saying, it is important to be honest and be able to explain why you wrote what you did.

2.  Professor Love Fest.  I have gotten so lucky with my professors.  They taught me so much.  I am not just talking about equations and definitions but actually skills for the workplace.  Professor Dillon taught me, “how a Scripps woman shakes hands” as well as poise and grace that I try to emulate at every turn.  Professor Odell taught me to never, ever back down.  I think a owe a lot of my resolve to her.  Our faculty are so tight knit here I have learned things even from Professors I have never had in class!  I ran into Professor Haskell on another continent and he spent over an hour with my family and I even though we had barely exchanged a few words previously.  My Core I Professor and I still chat about our lives, usually spouting doom and gloom about Wall Street.  I think the interpersonal connections are what have prepared me most for the ‘real world’.  Knowing how to talk to people (really smart people) and getting to learn from them (academically, socially, holistically) has made me ready for this next step.

So if you were to ask me what I would rather have: my time with Scripps Faculty or having to never pay a tax on anything I would have to say…

Only two things in life are certain, death and taxes, and my Professors have taught me it is futile to avoid either one.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *