Interviews: The Skype Edition

In my last post, I outlined how I stumbled upon Livefyre’s internship posting on internships.com, and what drew me to go through with the application process even though I was intimidated. I was met with a warm and friendly response, and soon enough I had a date and time for our interview, which was over Skype, a free video calling software. Skype? I’d interviewed in person before, as well as over the phone, but this was uncharted territory, a strange meshing of the two.

While I was nervous at first, I soon realized that Skype fuses the best of both worlds of interviewing. It’s face to face, just like in person, so you can really feel like you’re connecting with the person rather than just speaking to a disembodied voice over the phone. At the same time, it’s as quick and easy as a phone call, so there was no need to worry about traveling to interview in person. I interviewed from my dorm room here at Scripps, while my interviewer was comfortable in her office at the Livefyre headquarters in San Francisco.

Do you think a Skype interview is in your future? Time magazine had a great article about how Skype is changing the job interview process. I’ve compiled a list of tips and tricks from my experience interviewing over Skype for my summer internship.

The list includes:

1. PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE. Should I bold that, too, for added emphasis? As I mentioned in my previous post, doing my research before my interview really helped me stand out as a candidate for the position. In fact, I’m about 90% sure that it got me the internship. As Gini Dietrich wrote in her blog post, do your stinkin’ research and stalk the social networks. Whether you call it preparation, research, or good ol’ Internet stalking, you will definitely be prepared for your interview, with a good knowledge base of the company and people you will (hopefully!) be working with.
  2. Dress well. My research showed me that the Livefyre team is serious about their work, but also a group of relaxed, fun-loving people. The dress code in the office appeared to be casual, at least in the Facebook photos they’d displayed. I picked out a sweater with a cardigan to go over it in colors that complemented my skin tone. Since you’re interacting over a screen (and especially if you’re in HD video – yikes!), avoid prints that will clutter the screen and distract the eye. I chose a color that I knew looked good on me and wouldn’t overpower our conversation. If you think you’ll stay put for the interview, you can decide what you want to wear on bottom. If there’s any possibility you’ll be getting up during the interview, complete your outfit appropriately. While it may be comfortable to interview in a professional top and PJs on the bottom, that won’t reflect well on you if your papers blow off your desk and you can’t reach them without getting up. Just sayin’…better to be safe than sorry.
  3. Be aware of your surroundings. This was of particular importance to me: I was interviewing from my dorm room. I notified my roommate, put a “DO NOT DISTURB – SKYPE INTERVIEW IN PROCESS!” sign on my door, and cleaned up my room. I also closed my windows, as I live right by a dorm entrance and it can get loud. I made sure the computer was at such an angle so there wasn’t anything conspicuous in the background (my roommate has some political posters on her side of the room – I’m perfectly fine with it, but better to keep things neutral). I picked up anything that made the background look cluttered. It may seem like a small detail for something over Skype, but you never know what may impact your interviewer. Besides, wouldn’t you like to have your room reflect who you are? Having a neat, clean room will reflect well on you as an internship candidate.
  4. Prepare. Yes, this is a repeat, and no, you can’t have too much of it. I prepared an entire sheet of questions I had as well as statements (such as what I would do to contribute the first day of my internship) written down, just in case. I didn’t end up referencing the sheet in (this) interview, but I have before in the past and it’s always helpful to have notes to refer to if needed. If nerves strike, you’ll be prepared with thought-out questions and statements.
  5. Be enthusiastic. I’m an upbeat person, most of the time. It’s not hard for me to be enthusiastic when talking to new people or when I’m a bit nervous. Make sure you’re being enthusiastic about the right things, though. Be enthusiastic about the company, the product, the people you’ll be working with, the location, and what you can learn at your internship. While I’ve never done anything quite like what I was applying for at Livefyre, I’m eager to learn all I can and made sure that came across in both my cover letter and the interview. If you’re enthusiastic, your interviewer will take note.
  6. Skype etiquette. These are no-brainers for people who use Skype regularly (I’m thinking of college kids communicating with boyfriends/girlfriends/high school friends for fun), but it’s good to know if you’re not familiar with the program. Test a call ahead of time to make sure your Internet connection will work. Get the hang of adjusting your screen or webcam to catch you at your most flattering angle. Test out what lighting makes you look great, and learn how to avoid the lighting that makes you look like you stayed up all night. Check and double-check the Skype username of whomever you’re Skyping with. And when it comes down to interview time…be the first to call. I’ve always been the first one to call my interviewer/employer, whether it’s on the phone or Skype. Doing so shows initiative. And here’s a big one: during the actual call, make sure you are looking up. Sometimes it can be tempting to watch ourselves as we talk, since we never get to see ourselves mirrored in normal conversations. If you want to make eye contact with your interviewer, look at your webcam. This is looking directly into the camera, and can be quite powerful. Don’t look away from your computer, unless it’s to check your notes or write something down. In general, the same rules of in-person interviewing apply to Skype interviewing: make good eye contact and smile!

Did I enjoy my Skye interview? You bet I did. It was a great way to connect instantly from L.A. to San Francisco, directly into the Livefyre office. Since I’ve used Skype extensively in the past, it wasn’t too nerve-racking. Skype interviews are much better than phone interviews. It is the perfect merge: there is still the immediacy and simplicity of a phone interview, but with the added bonus of a face-to-face conversation.

So take a deep breath, set your computer at the ready, and get your interview game face on!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *