Meat Dress Not Included: Fashion for the Interviewee

When I got an internship in early March, a lot of things ran through my head. The first, of course, was a sigh of relief—my search had been so joyless that just hearing the word “internship” would launch a fit of anger and self-loathing. After that was the realization that my resume would get a shiny new addition to go with its recent makeover, and then the big epiphany hit.

I finally had a reason to buy professional clothes! Never mind that I’d be working my internship from my dorm room—the company encouraged me to visit their headquarters, and I needed to be prepared not only for that, but for future interviews. Jeans and my favorite top were not going to cut it anymore, I told my parents. It was time for my wardrobe to mature.

Armed with a stack of coupons and a rewards card, my family went on a road trip and hit the Banana Republic outlet store. I walked away with just enough “big girl clothes” to survive a few days in a modern workplace—one two-piece suit, a matching pencil skirt, four blouses, and a simple sweater. With no car at college and few quality stores in my hometown, I don’t shop a lot, and this was, by far, the most successful clothes-shopping trip I’ve had since I left Seoul in August. While I won’t pretend to be a professional clothes expert, let me give a few pieces of advice after my trip:

1. Andre Agassi once said that image is everything. It’s certainly not everything, but there’s a lot, whether you realize it or not, that what you’re wearing says about you. A well-tailored suit in blue, black, beige, or grey with a nice blouse projects professionalism and poise. A bright blue shorts-suit with nothing underneath (credit to Go Fug Yourself) would probably not have the same effect. Dressing like this (again, credit to GFY) could scare off any potential employers. You get the idea.

2. Fit, fit, fit! As a vertically challenged member of society, I’m constantly sending clothes in for alterations. I’ve never bought a pair of jeans that weren’t too long for my legs, and every special occasion dress I’ve bought had to have at least five inches chopped off the bottom. No matter what body type you have, though, it’s important that your workplace clothes fit you well. Don’t buy something that doesn’t fit, and if it’s all you can find, make sure to find a seamstress. Don’t settle for those slacks you’re swimming in or the blazer that’s crushing your lungs.

3. Make sure any skirt is long enough—knee-length or maybe an inch above.

4. Last, but not least, clothes are fun. Clothes express who you are. Clothes can be empowering. There are rules to follow in the professional world, but it’s important, in my opinion, to let your personality shine through. How you answer questions and express yourself verbally are much more important to most employers, but you’re guaranteed to catch an interviewer’s eyes instantly if you’re wearing your suit, rather than the suit wearing you. Do you want to be one of the dozens of applicants in a black suit with a white button-up, or do you want to rock a blue suit with a metallic grey blouse? If you love what you’re wearing, it shows, and that positivity will certainly carry over to your interview. Don’t be a flight attendant—be you.