Proper Interview Attire

I recently had a job interview for an on-campus job for the fall. The day after the interview, I ran into the professor who had run the interview panel, and he stopped me to chat for a minute. He thanked me for interviewing and told me that I had been one of the most professional candidates for the position. I was surprised and pleased, but the comment reaffirmed something that my friends and I had been noticing for the past few months — it doesn’t seem like students are trying that hard to impress during job interviews on campus. We all have stories of leaving job interviews and seeing the next candidate head in, not dressed appropriately. I’m sure there are reasons for this, but I figured a quick reminder about proper interview attire wouldn’t hurt anyone!

1. Choose a classy, stylish base piece. For my interviews, I rely on a polished, just-to-the-knee length dark blue skirt. Blue is versatile, and can be worn with a myriad of colors. The skirt is long enough to be appropriate, but not too long — it still looks nice with flats or heels. It’s also high-waisted, which looks good on my body type and dresses up the outfit. A pencil skirt is always a great option. For a nice option, check out Banana Republic’s lightweight gray skirt.
  2. Choose your pieces carefully. I chose to wear a white scoop-neck tee and a lightweight pink sweater (it was 7 pm and 77 degrees when I interviewed!). It wasn’t quite as formal as a suit blazer and a button-down, but it was clean, simple, and sophisticated. If you’re looking for cute layering options, Gap has quite a few.
  3. Accessorize carefully. I’ll admit: I love jewelery. You can usually find me with earrings, a ring or two, a necklace, and a watch on. It’s easy to overdo it for an interview, particularly with jewelry. Pick one or two of your favorite pieces that work well with your outfit — simple earrings, one ring, and a small bracelet or watch. Less is more!
  4. Wear appropriate shoes. I have a great pair of pointed-toe flats that are black, with an inch heel or so. They’re comfortable, and they look great with both skirts and pants. The best part? They’re not five inches, so I can walk just fine in them. For a more formal interview, I would suggest higher heels, but for an on-campus interview, flats will do just fine as long as they’re appropriate. 
  5. Bring the right materials. I invested in a Scripps College leather folio last year, and it’s been a fantastic purchase. I always feel more comfortable when I bring it along with me to interviews with my resume tucked in it. I leave my cell phone in my room, and just bring the essentials — my keys so I can get back to my room. If you’re interviewing in the future, seriously think about buying a leather folio to polish off your image. It’s an investment that will last for years!

Remember, these suggestions are for interviews on campus. Of course, the dress code changes depending on the interview — you wouldn’t wear the same clothes to interview with President Lori Bettison-Varga and an interview with your RA. Either way, you should be dressed smart. Present yourself as the beautiful Scrippsie that you are: classy, confident, and professional!