Trust in the potential that others see in you

*Editor’s note: Beyond the Elms rarely has guest posts, but CP&R Director Vicki Klopsch had this message for the Scripps College class of 2011, as well as the students who will follow. We can’t wait to see you again in the fall. -Valinda
_____________________________________________________

“You are educated. Your certification is in your degree. Think of it as your ticket to change the world.” ~ Tom Brokaw

A friend once told me that sometimes we have to trust in the potential that others see in us.  It’s a phrase that rings in my ears each time I’m confronted with a new opportunity, a chance to extend my reach. It’s a stretch that usually feels awkward. Sometimes impossible.  Then that voice chimes again, “trust in the potential that others see.”   It’s been two years since I’ve started my position as Director of CP&R and as another group of seniors begin their journey to life after Scripps, I pause in amazement at the potential I see in you.  You have stepped into new territory: becoming teachers, academics, scientists.  Opting to step aside and play. Fight the norm. Change the norm.  You are going global. Staying local.  You are Fulbright Scholars and investment brokers, research technicians and marketing analysts, dancers and paralegal professionals.  You are collectively the ultimate example of a liberal arts education.  So, what do I see in the Class of 2011?  I see strength, endurance, and grace.  Your success – however you define that for yourself – is just around the corner.

Regardless of where you lay your path, take time to enjoy the sharp turns and the forks in the road.  Know that U-Turns will show up when you need them.  Trust that green lights will too.  Know that you can – at whatever – because you already have.  Let your knowledge equally reflect what you learned in the classroom and what you experienced outside of it.  Your time at Scripps has required you to prioritize, organize, and apply yourself; have confidence in your skills. Stand tall for what you believe, but give people a chance to persuade you otherwise.  Question decisions before you make them, but never be afraid to make them.  Accept compliments and acknowledgment with grace.  Listen to what people say.  Ask for help when you need it and trust in the potential that we see in you.  You will do amazing things.  Start with that and see where the journey takes you.

Best of luck and much happiness in all you do,

Vicki