Flashbacks

As the process of finding a job starts to gear up (in my over-anxious plan), I am starting to have flashbacks to four years ago at this time. Four years ago I was filled with anxiety out about where I was going to be living, who my friends would be, what I would be learning, and how soon I would find out this information. Although this wasn’t my search for the perfect career, it was my search for the perfect college. It is starting to feel eerily the same, and the biggest issue for me is still the waiting. I feel prepared and confident that I will get a job (just like I knew I would get into at least one college) but the wait is excruciating. While friends around me are finding out about second rounds of TFA, and fellowships, I sit patiently as employers tell me to “look them up” come spring time. For someone who plans for the future as far in advance as possible this is tough.

I find myself thinking what can I do in the meantime? If you are a senior applying for jobs next year, you are probably having the same thoughts… Here are five tips I have come up with, and I hope it might help.

1. Make a list of dream companies, work towards finding contacts or connection. Think of these as your reach schools, or in my case Scripps!
  2. Perfect your resume. I am sure you have stopped by CP&R by now, but making sure that your resume is updated from this summer and is as polished as possible will make it less stressful when you come across your dream job at 2am and think that you MUST apply ASAP before someone steals your future.
  3. Start making a list of wants. Where you want to live, where you want to work, what kind of weather you want, whether you want to be close to family. As I see it, now is the time to figure out exactly what you want. If you have to give up a few of those things come time to accept a job, fine, but for now, your possibilities are endless.
  4. Do your school work. This might seem obvious, but I find myself looking into jobs and avoiding my work at times. It seems like a productive activity until I realize that I need to be present in my life here, and that includes work!
  5. Enjoy my senior year. Between thesis, other classes, the job search, and life in general it is hard to remember that I should also be having some fun. It is our last year here seniors, so make sure to have a little fun!