“I Have a Woman’s Body and I Will Not Apologize for That”

As this girl went in for another puff, I watched as the embers smoldered at the end of her cigarette; I imagined myself smoldering like the embers of that cigarette as I tried to think of a topic to write about this week. With my brain still fuming, I decided to do what most (pretty much all) college students do in times of desperation; I went on Facebook. As I flipped through countless pages of close friends and acquaintances, old and new, I noticed on my home screen that it displays older statuses from my friends, one of which read “I have a woman’s body. I will not apologize for that.” I not only liked her status but it got me thinking about how for years I have always been sorry for this womanly body that has be blessed upon me.

Growing up, I always felt like I had to choose between my beauty and my brains. My family luckily endowed me with curves so I never felt afraid to show off and dress up my figure. When it came time to do work in the classroom, however, I always felt as if I was not taken as seriously as the girls who just decided to wear sweatpants and a North Face to class. One of my biggest fears is that this same issue transfers into my professional life. When interviewing for a job, you’re always supposed to go one step further than what your employer expects in terms of attire but your safest bet is to dress “conservatively.” For some reason I find that women read this term as meaning “manly.” It feels as if women believe that if they dress more like a man then they will have a better chance of being hired or taken seriously. Echoing the wise words of my good friend, I have a woman’s body so why would I ever think it is ok to drown myself in shoulder padded blazers or bland colors. It makes me sad when I see smart and capable women taking over the world looking like what I would call “a hot, sometimes flaming, mess.” If you’re struggling to figure out what to wear to your interview, then I would highly suggest looking in the Career Planning & Resources Career Services Guide under their section titled “Interview Attire” where they give some very handy do’s and don’ts. I would also recommend browsing through the store New York & Company, a store that I believe does the best job of complementing the woman’s body in professional clothing. But don’t be afraid to flatter your figure and/or give a little color because at the end of the interview you will always have a woman’s body and should never have to be sorry for that, so don’t let your clothes say otherwise.

One thought on ““I Have a Woman’s Body and I Will Not Apologize for That”

1. It makes me sad when I see smart and capable women who are taking over the world being judged for their appearance and attire choices. Not cool when men or the media do it, not cool when you do it.